Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unni, take em or leave em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unni, take em or leave em?

Well, the Y and I were looking at maybe buying an Unni. We do pizza once a week or every two weeks or so. we don't generally do it on the grill because it is usually a meal we want to put together in an evening and just have fairly quickly. putting something together to cook in the UDS would take FAR ore fuel than I am willing to use for a weeknight pizza.

I hadn't considered the Unni before because of the price. for a couple of old retired folks, a $600 unitasker was just beyond the pale.

however, looking over their website, I find that a) there may be other decent uses for an unni. searing and broiling and so on, which I had noticed before, but, I still have a broiler and still wondered if it was worth it. the Unni was a multi fuel piece and, frankly, I didn't need it to be.

now I find they have one for $300 that works on a handful of wood pellets, fires up to 900+ in a short time, and cooks a kick*** pizza. among other things. well, NOW we're talking! reasonable price, searing off my great steaks, doing an amazing pizza (though, frankly, my toaster oven really does get hot enough to make a pretty good pie) and the fuel is as easy and as inexpensive as a hand full of pellets.

so, I ask you guys. does anyone have one, what else do you cook on it?

I do not but I like my Blackstone. The Uuni is smaller though and looks cooler.

Comment

I have not yet broken ours in. hogdog6 can relate his experiences. If you're interested in the Pro, I'm selling a fully accessorized one for $525 + shipping. And I know we're on the same side of the country. There's plenty of room in there.

Comment

Go to "Uuni has arrived" posts and you’ll see the pizza and steaks I did. The pro is bigger and so much more versatile than the smaller one. Of course I use it for pizza but another reason it got my MCS issues going was that I do Sous Vide - BQ and have tried all the different ways to put a nice crust on the outside, torches, smoking hot cast iron, etc all those ways just didn’t do it for me. The last steaks I did I SVed for 2 hours then after a quick snow bath threw them in a pre heated cast iron pan I had in the wood fired Uuni at 850*. My HOT little wife who usually could take it or leave it when it comes to any meat said that was the best steak she’s ever had and didn’t just eat the usual 1/4 of one, she ate it all and asked when can we do this again. "She was correct it was fantastic". I got mine from one EdF stash for the great deal he’s offering. If you’re thinking about one consider the pro. In MHO. The Unni was the perfect addition to round out my stable of cookers.
        Last edited by hogdog6; December 15, 2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          I gotta try this!

I love my camp chef italia

Comment

These are so cool! I just need more space on the patio!

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Jon Solberg HAHAHA. HILARIOUS! 🤣

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            show me your hands!!!

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh no you do need this. Everyone needs this. 😜

Oh Unni, I thought it was uni and I was going to say leave it. (truly never tasted it)

Comment

There must be some folks out there doing high heat pizza on different contraptions. Looked at a unni, but does it measurably beat a very hot Kamado or using the indoor oven in Kenji preheat-steel/broiler mode?

Comment

I have a Kamado and it does a good job with high heat pizza but doesn’t do what the Unni can. The hot stones and fire rolling over the top of the pizza are magic.
              Last edited by hogdog6; December 17, 2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I've done a lot of hot pizza cooks on the BGE. Fair bit of fussing to find the right setup, but the results were good to very good. From what I've seen coming out of other folks' Uuni Pro's, it looks to put the kamado to shame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EC5EF6E4-9A19-415E-9670-FADA0365653F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	424546Click image for larger version  Name:	6A138880-9FCD-4072-82FA-39BBCA838878.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	424547Click image for larger version  Name:	D0EBE843-FE77-4286-AF5F-E720EE4194DE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	424548

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                That's pretty impressive.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Done start to finish in the oven, or just seared?

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sous Vide then seared. 1 minute per side.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here