Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what do you especially like about your cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what do you especially like about your cooker?

No cooker does everything the best, but there are things that folks especially like about their cooker. Here are a few things I like about my Big Green Egg equipped with a Smobot. It is unaffected by cold weather, I can sleep while it cooks as I did last night, it has a low fuel consumption illustrated by the pic after a 13 hour cook, and it produces more than acceptable results.

What is your favorite cooker and what do you especially like about it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5C7CB9EC-EC17-4D3E-B63C-687271002C2B.jpeg
Views:	435
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1019621
    Click image for larger version

Name:	602F5555-5D67-4386-8891-DD23001C6F21.jpeg
Views:	400
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1019622

I have the WSCG with fireboard (and pit viper fan when laziness calls) and low profile SnS. I like the versatility of being able to do just about everything well, from hot and fast 90 second pizzas to 16 hour low and slow. Works like a charm and the only failures are the one between my ears (See recent post!).

Comment

Cooker or cookers!!!! Let see

1. Kettle: the vortex gizmo for wings.
      2. Grilla silverback: flavor the pellets give the food and ease of operation.
      3. Wood fired pizza oven: awesome pizzas and steaks at 600-900 degrees.

Comment

I like my Weber kettles...I know, we allll have one.
        I also like my ......PBC. I don't need to stay up all night tending. I just have to get up a little early, get it started, hang the meat and off we go.

Comment

Mine is almost exactly the same as yours, just a different color. I use a Kamado Joe with a Smobot. Like you I'm sold on the low fuel consumption and the ease of holding my desired temp. I cooked ribs yesterday. I set the temp at 250 F and it stayed within 8 degrees for the whole 5 hour cook. I like how a Kamado holds moisture with its low air flow. Mine gets used as a plain old grill at least 2 days a week. I can cook up burgers or reverse sear a steak with no problems. I've gotten to know it pretty well. I know how to set up for brisket, pork butt, ribs, or several different chicken cooks. For me when I set out to cook I look at what protein I want, what flavor do I want, and what technique on my cooker will get me there. I've been using this one for several years so I'm usually comfortable with what technique I can use. It's one less concern to have to deal with.

Comment

My favorite and only cooker is my 22” Weber Kettle. So versatile with SnS w/FireBoard and Pit Viper fan. It’s a great slow cooker for ribs, pork butt and briskets. Kick the heat up a bit or cooks chicken and tri-tips. With the KettlePizza add-in it’s a wood burning pizza oven with temperatures in the 700’s. Did I mention it does a good job reverse searing ribeye steaks. It can handle everything I like to BBQ.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              This is where I am - the kettle is incredibly versatile, has a ton of accessories and the 22" is fine in terms of capacity for what I do. I need to get the rotisserie setup (well see if it works. It was Dad's and hasn't been used in a LONG time).

I really love my MAK, it does everything pretty good if not very well. With the MAK sear grates or some Cast Iron it will get a real good seared crust on any protein. The thing I love the most about it is rain or shine, cold or hot, I can whip something up for dinner with minimal effort (as long as I can get pellets into it, which sometimes requires creativity with an umbrella if the wife isn't around to help ). Still working on a gasser to compliment it though, and maybe a PKGo if not something similar for the road.

Comment

Well, I have nine cookers and each does certain things very well. I use them accordingly. But to save time and space I will only speak of my favorite which is the pellet grill, a Recteq RT-700 Bull. Easy, versatile, and reliable. That’s it. Thanks for asking.

Comment

That does not look like pork butt! Looks darn good though!!!!

Comment

• bardsleyque
                  bardsleyque commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yeah cookers,I like my26" Weber I have the SNS and Vortex for it. I'm still learning the Vortex as it's still pretty new. For big cooks I like my rotisserie stick burner, I don't get much sleep when I use it, but sleep may be overrated!!!

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is brisket, but I bet you knew that.

My kettle does everything I want it to do, but I think the roto chix is my favorite.

Comment

I love time outside tending fire in my off-set. My dog and I have long conversations tending wood-fired BBQ.

I love my PK360 the same way everyone here loves their Weber Kettle. As best I can tell I could live with either and be completely content.

Comment

Even with the MAK, I'm still calling the WSCG my favorite because with the SnS Low Profile, Vortex, Big Joetisserie, and Hunsaker Griddle Plate, I cannot think of much of much of anything that I cannot get a close to perfect setup to cook on it, so that's what I love about it, versatility.

For the MAK, convenience.

Comment

Very similar to you and Oak Smoke. Kamado Joe Big Joe, but no smobot. Love the versatility and low fuel consumption. Still learning it’s quirks for manual control, but finding it holds temps outstandingly well. Could load this thing up if needed.

I also have the 22” kettle/sns/vortex setup and a very handy Jumbo Joe.
                      Last edited by Texas Larry; April 19, 2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                        LA Pork Butt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I moved to Texas from south Louisiana, and the irregular gusting winds make make keeping temperature constant over long cooks a real challenge. The Smobot solves that for 12-16 hour night cooks.

• Texas Larry
                        Texas Larry commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LA Pork Butt I would have to get a different controller for the Big Joe II. Smobot won’t fit the newer control top. There are any number of them, beginning with the Ikamand.

I have a lot of grills/smokers, but the one I like the best and use the most is the PK360.
                      • Marine grade aluminum, will be passing it down to my children and probably children's children.
                      • I got one of the first 100 made. No. 66 to be exact. It came with the iron wood shelves which they don't make anymore. Just a gorgeous looking grill.
                      • 2-zone cooking is a snap. Holds temp very well.
                      • Very good small smoker.
                      • Good size with 360 square inches of cooking surface.
                      • Vent controls are easily accessible and work great.
                      • Does not leak. Heavy lid seals well with lower half and no leaking around exhaust vents.

Comment

My favorite cooker is a German-Dutch model. She makes awesome food, puts a pork butt to shame, and keeps me warm in the winter. She’s a keeper!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                          LA Pork Butt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not everyone can handle one of those! LOL

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here