Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what do you especially like about your cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kettle cooks my world.
    I remember thinking what's all the hype about kettles when I joined the Pit. The versatility is truly remarkable and temp control is easy.
    There is a member who constantly raving about a 3 letter cooker. Me thinks again what's all the Plugging a Black Container about.
    Reading pit reviews on the various cookers there are a few I'd like in my arsenal but haven't arranged them in order of preference yet.
    If I had to choose any one as of today it would be the PBC but it's hard for me to say if that would be the case in a week's time.
    I think I'm easily swayed by the fervour portrayed in the pit when it comes to fire vessels.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Before you get the PBC consider the Oklahoma Joe Bronco, because its air intake is less vulnerable to wind gusts. The intake vent has long tube up the side of the cooker creating steady air intake even when winds are gusty. . Gusty winds on most cookers cause temperature swings.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Kettles are Kewl, Indeed.

The fact that I can sleep for HOURS while it does its thing.

Comment

When it comes to my cookers, I love them all, "the long and the short and the tall".

Kathryn

Comment

My name is Bill and I have a problem, 15 cookers at our main house, 3 cookers at my MIL's and 5 cookers at our vacation home. My wife thinks I'm in serious need of intervention! The 4 I use the most are the SNS Kettle, PK360, LBGE and the Gateway drum. The least used are the Weber Summit gasers. I mostly keep the gasers for my sons to use when they come over and I'm not around to cook. They haven't gotten the bug yet to want to learn how all the others work. The day after I leave this world, I can see a huge yard sale coming.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Give a shout to Mr. Bones if you ever fear you have too many cookers. He can reassure you that you are okay.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Only 15?
          Och, Yeah, yer fine, Oy! LOL!!!

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          MORE is better! And I doubt there is much argument in these here parts.
          Last edited by ofelles; November 27, 2021, 05:35 PM.

While the versatility is a major factor, what I really enjoy about the M36 is tending the fire. It gives a sense of purpose for hours at a time without requiring too much effort.

Rob

Comment

So many things. For my old school OK Joe stick burner (all 1/4” steel version), I love the history and story of the cooker. It was purchased brand new by a young soldier in the Army in Texas. He PCS’ed to Korea and brought it with him. After a few years, he sold it to another Army dude who brought it back to the US and then to Germany. After having it in Germany for some years, he gave it to a German family somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the country side. There it lived for a few more years until an Air Force airman who was into BBQ randomly saw it while cruising the aforementioned German countryside. He bought it from them, continued to use it, and eventually brought it home with him to Las Vegas. When the airman’s father saw it, he told his son that he had one several years back and always regretted selling it. His son gave it to his dad who used it for a long time, but decided that because of his age, he no longer wanted to tend to a wood fire and bought a pellet rig. As his son didn’t want it back, he posted it for sale on FB. My wife knew that I desperately wanted a stick burner, but wanted a quality all steel one. She saw it for sale and told me I had to go make sure it was the right kind because she didn’t know what to look for, but that if it was, she was buying it for me for my birthday. The father started to cry as he told me the story of the cooker and how it came to be and helped me load it up. I assured him that it was coming to a good home and I try to honor the cooker every time I use it. Needing to learn how to use it properly, I found The Pit and the rest is history! Now I can turn out decent Q and find zen in tending the fire and putting in the work.
          Last edited by RickyBobby; November 27, 2021, 06:33 PM. Reason: Correcting the auto-incorrect errors.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            OKJ, fer th Win, Brother!

Yers sounds like it's had more Tours of Duty than yerself, an me combined, Brother!

~~~---<<<(((S)))>>>---~~~

My first stickburnin, log munchin experience.(That I ever owned)

She sits right out back, about 8 feet from my bed.

Have shown, countless times, up in here; can easily hold °5 difference, between sides...

Know yer cooker...

Zen is abundant, when Stickburnin, an a Healthy, Happy addition to one's Life
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 27, 2021, 06:45 PM.

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            Fact @Mr. Bones!!!!

• phbern
            phbern commented
            Editing a comment
            Love my OK Joe Longhorn! The best part is it needs near-constant attention so I have the perfect excuse to sit on the patio with a beer and a book and not have to go shopping with my wife!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here