Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First gas grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! Currently trying to talk the missus into letting me get one...

Comment

Can't go wrong with a Weber gasser! Cook away!

Comment

Sweet Cooker, I know ya'll enjoy that Bad Boy!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	996A5754-7923-4FF3-AA47-F66E62891C00.gif
Views:	118
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	681532

Comment

I just bought this too, replacing a 10 year old Spirit. Very nice grill, especially for the money. I've been very impressed with it so far.

This with GrillGrates and a pellet smoker is for ideal reverse searing!

Comment

Jerod Broussard So now the question comes, after a summer of cooks, how are you liking having a gas grill in your lineup?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Regret.....Not getting one sooner. The upside down grill grates help add to the regret.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Jerod Broussard I felt like that too, after about 10 years of only using charcoal, when someone gave me my first Weber gas grill. My previous gassers had been junk that made me give up on them. Weber turned me around. Grillgrates make it even better.

Sweet. That’s the one I’d get. I envy you.

I recently dug out my out original Q from storage. When I want to use gas that’s what I turn to. Lately I’ve been using it with the griddle to make myself a breakfast sandwich in the morning. Nothing like starting the day on the deck coffee in hand and cooking up some bacon and eggs. Won’t be able to do that comfortably in another month or two.

Comment

That's my in-laws' model, without the rotisserie.

What will you be cleaning the grates with? They had used wire brushes, wearing off the enamel or ceramic by the time I got to it. Consumer Reports warns that metal bristles can end up in the food, too, but they're generalists; what's the accumulated wisdom here?

It's fantastic for grilling. But it ran so hot for smoking -- I used chips in a topped-with-perforated-foil Corningware pan and offset the meat as far as I could from the heat -- that lovely spouse's parents offered to buy me a smoker not just out of generosity, but in self-defense after a few dinners of leather.

I've worn out that first smoker -- it hit the curb yesterday -- so I'm now happily browsing AR reviews for a replacement. If anyone's smoked well on the Genesis, please comment about it so I can learn what I was doing wrong.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  I ran low with some steaks. Got better things to use for significant 2-zone smoking.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve had a Genesis for 15 years - now two of them. Never tried to smoke on it though, as I’ve always had a charcoal grill or smoker available. My dad smokes on his 3 burner by running just one burner, with the ribs or whatever at the other end of the grill. He also wraps in foil after a couple of hours.

• SmokingSteve
                  SmokingSteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I smoked on my Spirit II 3 burner. Water pan over the direct heat (1 burner), wood chips or pellets in an Amaze-N-tube. Used water pan for spatchcocked turkey. No water pan on ribs, chicken, pork chops.Sometimes had trouble getting it to stay at 225. So I picked up a Masterbuilt MPS 340G. Love it! Vertical gas smoker with thermostatic control! There is a nice review on it from Max Good.

Jerod Broussard Does it taste like gas?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Only if I ate beans with a prior meal.

My Lowes have some Weber gasser floor models at reduced pricing.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Last January I got my Genesis II 4-burner model at Home Depot on clearance. I had watched it drop from $899 (August) to $699 (September) to $599 (November-December) to $399 (January) before I got one of the last floor models they still had. Almost got the 6 burner model for $499 (originally $1299), but decided I didn't need one that big. If I hadn't found that deal I would still be cooking all the time on the 2002 Genesis 2 burner!

I love my older Genesis so MUCH! Even without grill grates (I keep spending my gear money on other things), it's been a sweet cooker for everything except smoking. Just runs too hot.

Comment

Beautiful. Never be that clean again! Glad you’re enjoying it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here