Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I never thought I’d say this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a good used gasser or a killer deal on a flat top for over a year now. The MAK does fine (actually really good with the new firmware) of getting to a grilling temp, but just like coal there's a shut down process. Depending on the pellets there's also likely quite a bit of ash to clean up if your next cook is gonna be a long low and slow... Plus, regardless how good any pellet grill gets at grilling, sometimes I want to instantly go form low temp to a hot quick sear... a gasser of some sort paired with a pellet grill is a match made in heaven...

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed to your last statement. I’ll smoke a steak, chop, or whatever and the sear it on my mini gasser mentioned above. That thing is a searing machine.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      " a gasser of some sort paired with a pellet grill is a match made in heaven... "

Yep …
      Last edited by MBMorgan; July 13, 2021, 06:39 PM.

I love my gasser. It gives me great relief. Oh, wait you're talking cookers. Nevermind.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF459A4B-EAA6-44B4-9063-E58F6A65EAF5.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1059836
      all I need

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Technically a gas grill IMO.

• Greygoose
        Greygoose commented
        Editing a comment
        The green bottle is empty,,,LoL

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
      So chin up, chest out, and pass that gas like you mean it!!!
      Cheers to you! This made me laugh, like deep belly laughing. Good stuff. Thanks

Comment

I have to agree that for a lot of cooks, a gas grill or even a flat top gets the job done with a lot less waiting around. I love my flat top and use it a lot more than my gasser. Lately I've been giving all the attention to the SNS Kamado, but think I need to switch it up with some more flat top cooks for a while.
        Last edited by jfmorris; July 13, 2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Gas grills r fine. I just stopped using mine. Idk, just did, lighting the charcoal doesn’t take much more time, and I can drink a beer or two before the wife even knows I’m home. I don’t miss the gasser yet, but did like it.

Comment

I've been using my Genesis more and more lately, either to finish SV stuff or put a sear on something off the Grilla. or just to cook something hot and fast on a Wednesday... skirt steak on a weeknight... marinade at lunch, sear at dinner, taco hero.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Different cookers for different projects. Ribs get hung, best ribs ever. chickens cook on both, the magic pork chops depend on the level of effort I feel like putting in.

The bronco is definitely a weekend cooker, though I'm gonna fire it up tonight for some thai chicken halves. The Grilla gets more weekday work. I think it's about 50-50, but the things that come off the Bronco are some of the best I've made... that pulled pork won wife's enthusiastic approval.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack What all do you hang besides ribs, and what do you use the grate most with, on the Bronco.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I finally used the grate for the pulled pork... I hang pretty much everything else... chicken, ribs, kebabs, chops, anything that I'm not taking to where it will pull or fall apart.

Didn't get a barrel to put stuff on a grate ;-)

I went out to fire up the grill and got drizzled on last night, so I used the oven... came out pretty good, atc.

I can't believe it! glitchy hesitating at buying his own gasser versus conning his FIL into delivering the one they have?? Dude, we depend on your MCS to sustain us!

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL, it’s my grill, it’s just at their house. They have a minivan, so they hauled it to Minnesota for us (they vacationed with us). So, they’ve had it for 2-3 months and I got to see it for a week in the middle.

glitchy you know what might be the thing to consider? A flat top or griddle. Or even a Camp Chef 16" 3 burner stove that can be folded up and put away when not needed, but which has so many accessories available. Those 16" stove systems open up a Pandora's box of possibilities - pizza oven; grill box; 1, 2 and 3 burner griddles; and so on... plus just simple cast iron cooking outside or boiling stuff (shrimp boil anyone?)....

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              You have definitely sold me on a flat top over a gas grill for sure. One day.

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              If they can ever get the 16" stove systems back in stock. I think they must have been stuck in the Suez Canal...

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              I had a Blackstone for a while. I guess just not my thing. Rarely used it. Part of it is Midwest weather, the other part is my mind saying I can cook the same in a skillet.

I use my gasser more than anything else because of the ease of just firing it up, letting it going, and then throwing dinner on there. I especially like it since I've gotten the Grill Grates a couple of weeks ago. So far I've kept them on the flat side because I like a really good sear on burgers, steaks, and pork chops, plus the flat side works well for my veggies. If you don't have them and are looking to replace your grates soon I highly recommend them.

Comment

Well, I hemmed and I hawed. I thought about how much I liked the Traveler, but thought about returning to the office and needing something for weeknight dinners and started asking myself why I ever sold my Spirit E-330 (because when the SmokeFire worked well for the first 3-4 months I didn’t use it once). Then I thought about using a travel grill frequently with a single burner and cast iron grates. So, I hemmed and hawed some more, thinking hard about the new Genesis Smart Grills, then I realized it’s $300 more for a built in Weber Connect is all. Then I about bought another Spirit with the sear burner, but remembered it was really pretty OK, but didn’t get blazing hot and was awkward to move around with tiny wheels and a base that mostly covers the locks.

So I looked at Napoleons, Sabers, and more. Those Naps are nice, but I fight wind and the IR sear burner is pretty unprotected. The MAK is staying where it is as I’m not putting the hopper out where the wind, rain, and snow come in frequently. So, I’d probably get frustrated trying to sear on it. This was also a downfall to the Spirit with side burner and extra internal ‘sear’ burner both on the more exposed side.

So, I was about to just wait it out for Rhodey to get back home and started looking at the Genesis Ii’s again. Then, I wondered what having a gasser ready to sear after smoking a steak on the MAK would be like. I did that a lot with the Woodwind and Spirit. Bedroom furniture is already paid for, Accent wall is the only wall left to paint, blinds and new bedding showed up over past couple days. The wife should be getting excited. So, after painting most of the day, I may or may not have assembled a grill and singed most of the hair off my left arm opening a new gasser to peek at glowing flavorizer bars during burn in at 11:00 PM. Either way I have a sore neck and back after painting ceilings and several trips up and down the ladder (and maybe or maybe not also from loading, unloading, and assembling a heavy grill). At least all the ceiling paint splatters washed off my decade old spectacles I nurse along (as I wear contacts most of the time and can’t come up with reasons like fast dinners to replace).
              Last edited by glitchy; July 18, 2021, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                A great way to start the day! glitchy got a new cooker! Congratulations sir. Looking forward to your detailed write ups.

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                DavidNorcross No detailed write-ups planned. I haven’t even taken a picture of it or anything during assembly. It’s just a gasser and there’s reviews of it’s twin sister on the free side and a ton of places across the web.

• GolfGeezer
                GolfGeezer commented
                Editing a comment
                YAY!! The Real glitchy comes through! YAY!!

Gassers are great for quick hits. A quick Sous Vide Sear, burgers, weeknight meals. I love using mine with the steel griddle and my cast iron pans. Great temp control in those situations.

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                What griddle do you have? I have no interest in a stand-alone again, but might like something to throw on this occasionally.

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                glitchy I bought this one. https://griddlemaster.com/ It is a tank. I used it a lot when I first got it but less now that I have been using the Wok more. Smash burgers are great. Teppanyaki steaks awesome!

Woohoo!

Comment

Congrats. I knew you wouldn't let any grass grow under your feet on this. Now I'm just waiting to learn the final brand/model of the cooker (Genesis II after all?) and to see some action photos. I live vicariously through your purchases.

Most people pour a drink at the end of a day like that. You get a gasser. I like your style.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; July 18, 2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL, I’m so sick of carry out and have lots to do for next few months, so bit the bullet. Hoping to test it out in an hour or so after first coat on accent wall. I did the Costco S-345 special. It was all for the backlit knobs 🤪, Actually, it was because it was cheaper and came with a cover. Not sure if I’ll really ever use the iGrill 3 it came with.
                  Last edited by glitchy; July 18, 2021, 12:58 PM. Reason: Fixing Model Number

Hey, Glitchy … I saw you asked about a decent griddle for the gasser. I use the Baking Steel griddle on my EP-330 and it’s been great. It covers about 1/2 the grill surface, has a fairly large grease groove milled into it, and cooks a mean pizza on the smooth side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB34D601-5B47-4E80-9287-D8F24C0DBEA6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.89 MB ID:	1062344

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dang, I bought the wrong brand of baking steel a few years ago, Didn’t realize someone did on reversible like that, mine is flat on both sides. I might have to look at that one.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought the one that MBMorgan recommended. It's a solid piece of equipment for sure. I also have the SteelMade griddle. Why? Because more is more. And because I use the Baking Steel griddle a lot in the house.

K.
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; July 18, 2021, 05:57 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here