Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Major Article Rewrites

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Major Article Rewrites

Dr. Blonder has been busy in the lab and he has nailed down once and for all the cause of the Smoke Ring and I have rewritten my article on the subject to include the latest science. To accompany this is a major rewrite on wood and smoke and what they do when burned. Here are the links:

Smoked meats often have a pink layer below the surface called the smoke ring. But you don't need smoke to create it! It is created by myoglobin, a protein in meat, reacting with combustion gases. Read on to learn how removing the fat cap from meat, keeping the meat moist, and cooking low and slow create the smoke ring.

Learn all about wood smoke and how it adds flavor to BBQ. Find out whether you should be using wood chunks, chips, pellets, logs, or sawdust in your cooker. Discover the truth behind the claim that different woods have different flavors.

Thanks for all your help and support, MH!

Comment

You guys rock. This is invaluable information that 99% of BBQ authors ignore and leave to common lore and assumption. 3 thumbs up.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Might want to have Doc Blonder look into that third thumb.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure he'd want to pass on that

GREAT information!

Comment

woohooo....more stuff to digest!!!!!

I've hit at least two typos....you want them??

actually three, I have to send them, can't stand a guilty conscience.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 13, 2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Got them. Thanks!

Good stuff!

One question, though. I could swear that I read either on AR (or possibly elsewhere) that unlike briquettes, you can add unlit lump charcoal directly to a going cook without a problem since it is basically pure carbon already. Does that ring any bells with you?

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          All unlit charcoal or wood is cold. As it warms to full combustion (say 575F) it gives off different compounds on the way up. Those compounds have different flavors. Lump or briq or wood.

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          In light of what has been said, what does that say about the Minion or Snake techniques?

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          @boftx I think it says that it is a fine way to manage heat but less than ideal source of smoke. It tends to produce lots of white smoke which a lot of people like, but many others think to be less than ideal. I know people who have told me for years they can taste it in the meat and they didn't know the science. If you are competing, it might work against you. If you are cooking for yourself, and you like the results, I wouldn't lose sleep. The alternative is to stay up all night add only full lit coals.

Great updates! Reading these articles made me realize why I got so little smoke flavor in the Smokerator running on electric power. All the more reason to finish the conversion to charcoal!

Comment

• _Keith
          _Keith commented
          Editing a comment
          Smokerator. Used to be a refrigerator. Turned it into an electric smoker. Turning it into a charcoal smoker.

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah ha! Smokenator is also a tradmarked name for a device that goes in a Weber Kettle. Smokerator is YOUR trademark. Now I see the diff.

• _Keith
          _Keith commented
          Editing a comment
          The confusion is understandable. Unfortunately, "Refrigismoker" is awkward and inaccurate :-)

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here