Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chunks--soak or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never soak IMO!

Comment

The only time I soak them is if I add wood to a smoke box on my gas grill. I typically soak one of the two boxes, so as the first one finishes up, the second one starts smoking.

Comment

My old man used to always tell me to "oh go soak your head". That's about all the soaking I ever do

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          true story: when my best friend was 5'ish, his dad told him "go soak your head in a toilet" ..... and the next thing we all heard was Todd flushing the toilet.

• tiewunon
          tiewunon commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper man that has to sting a "self inflicted swirly".

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper & tiewunon , in my day we called it givin someone a dairy queen. Who would of known that some youngins would think it cool & develop a hair style of such. Ther is a guy on the Weather channel with. DQ, looks absolutely amazing & silly.

I think the whole 'soak wood' thing came about when most of what you bought was chips and you were trying to avoid having them just burst into fire and burn away as you added them. Same reason you'd make a packet of them in foil.

The right thing is to avoid chips entirely and use dry chunks

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm, never thought of that, one reason to soake wood, to avoid an explosion.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here