Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Cherry Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Cherry Wood

I was talking to a friend this morning about getting a large load of wild cherry yesterday. He said the he knew that green leaves from a wild cherry tree could kill a cow if they were to eat it. He mentioned that there was a lot of arsenic in the wood. I am asking if anyone would know this to be true and if it is safe to use this in my smoker?

U can buy cherry wood for smoking so I doubt if its harmful...even so I use wild cherry chunks I cut from trees myself and I'm still here haha 😉

Comment

That's what I thought. I have alot of this stuff. It has been down about 3 years and I want to use it to accent flavor. SHould last me a goo while. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

doing a quick google search i found several forums where this question was asked (apparently this is fairly common) and they all said it is safe and it will impart a bitter flavor to your food.

Comment

A few years ago I went out with a friend to cut down some trees on his property. A lot of it was cherry. I still have some today. I haven't had any issues with it. In fact I like to use it with poultry and fish. It has a fruity flavor to it. If seasoned properly.. I don't think you will have any issues with it.

Comment

Never heard this. I suppose if it's not an actual fruit-bearing cherry, there could be something to this. Suffice it to say if it bears edible cherries whether to humans or animals, you'll be fine.

I will forward this to Dr Blonder for his insights, stay tuned.

Comment

there is probably more arsenic in the water you drink (or chinese rice you eat) than what will land on your food from the smoke.

Comment

Cherry leaves, seeds and bark contain high levels of cyanide, not arsenic. They are definitely poisonous if consumed. Hey, you can't blame the plant for defending itself...

The cyanide is more or less destroyed when the wood is burned, and in fact, all wood combustion from all wood species produces some cyanide, formaldehyde, ammonia, etc during burning. This is one reason why wood (and cigarette) smoke is toxic and carcinogenic.

more details here: http://www.genuineideas.com/Articles...awoodfuel.html

Some plants do concentrate arsenic from the soil, if the soil or water is high in arsenic. More common in grasses. Again, very little will end up on your meat.

Comment

• Bryan Moorhead
                  Bryan Moorhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks folks for the information. I thought it would be OK but I err to the side of caution when it comes to feeding people the food I prepare.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Doc!!! docblonder

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here