Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live oak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live oak

Hurricane Sally came through Baldwin county Alabama and blew down thousands of live oaks and pecan trees. Long leaf pine also took a beating. Has anybody had experience smoking with live oak? There are piles of oak and pecan along the roads.

When you say "live" do you mean freshly cut? If so you don't want use fresh wood to smoke with. You're gonna want to season it. Meaning let it sit covered if possible so it can dry out. 6 months at a minimum.

Comment

Grab all the oak and pecan you can. Pass on the pine.

Comment

Live oak is a species of white oak. Very common around here, great for bbq when seasoned. Pecan is a real treat. Grab some. Would not use the pine tho.

Comment

Agreed. Grab alla th Live Oak an Pecan ya can, leave th pine.
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 12, 2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I would grab some of the pine also. Great firepit kindling wood!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            true enough, Brother: I burn most bout any ol wood in my firepit, as a starter...
            Truth is, I got enough non-smoker wood to hold me fer some time, so me? I'd leave it, (Th Pine) at present

I can attest to unseasoned oak being a pain in the backside to burn...😔

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like an alumni of my alma mater....The School of Hard Knocks!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Classmate, here...

Since they were recently knocked down, if you decide to keep them they’ll probably need at least a year to get seasoned properly. The oak could take up to a year longer from what I understand

Comment

Stay away from trees with needles 😃

oak is great! split and let it season!

Comment

Like above. Skip the pine and grab the rest! Welcome to the Pit!!!

Comment

I have 18 huge old live oak trees in my yard. The limbs that fall out after a wind storm are great to smoke with once they have had some time to season. Pecan is such a mild smoke you'll enjoy smoking with it too. With that much available gather up all you can and start looking for a good stick burner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here