Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Oak Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Oak Question

I've seen from time to time here where post oak is used for smoking and in an ad I received yesterday for post oak smoking chunks it states that the wood is treated. Makes sense for posts so why smoke with treated oak instead of natural oak?
    • Wood cooking chunks for smoking made from real post oak wood for charcoal, gas, or electric grills, as well as personal and larger smokers. See description for cooking instructions.
    • Post Oak wood heat treated to eliminate and prevent pests, mold, and rot.
    • 570 cubic inches of large sized post oak chunks per package.
    • Use to make a variety of post oak smoked meat with charcoal or with chunks alone. Delicious with Beef Sirloin or Filets, Salmon or Trout, Braised Brisket, or Pork Loin.

I think in this case heat treated means kiln dried, not treated as in treated lumber used in construction. Its a faster way to season wood rather than let it sit outside for a year. In other words, no chemicals were used, just heat.
    Last edited by 58limited; July 22, 2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Post Oak is not for posts, that's not why it has that name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_stellata

Comment

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        See this is why I wonder about stuff. I honestly had no idea post oak referred to a species. Duh. Thanks for the enlightenment pkadare and this is why AmazingRibs rocks.

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to point out that the name is species related, however further down in the wiki is correct reference to "namesake" use as fence post.

I think the heat treatment should be fine.
      But it doesn't say "delicious with Wibs", so I wouldn't buy it.

Comment

Micronized copper azole pressure treat is absolutely delish! Salty overtones, yum!!

But really, this is the smoking wood of Texas now, or so it has become. Post oak is in the white oak family so milder than others. It's plentiful and makes a really nice smoking wood especially when you start pairing it with other woods for flavoring. Dang dang good.

Comment

• cgrover60
          cgrover60 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Lonnie mac. Good to know.

In defense of my poorly phrased post, (pun intended) and COVID isolation induced boredom, what I was actually wondering is why post oak would be different than "oak" for cooking and smoking. After a little digging I also found this forum thread for what it's worth that extended my enlightenment. http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20904
        Last edited by cgrover60; July 22, 2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Being from the same area, have you found a local source for post oak?

Comment

• cgrover60
            cgrover60 commented
            Editing a comment
            No I have not found a local source.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            cgrover60 ok, Thanks. I was talking with someone at some point who said there is a wood source on second street somewhere, north valley area, but I haven’t looked to find them yet.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here