Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exploring Whether Store Bought Wood Is A Good Fuel Source for Stick Burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exploring Whether Store Bought Wood Is A Good Fuel Source for Stick Burners

Most of the local wood suppliers in my area only have oak or almond so I was excited when I learned that Ace Hardware carries B&B cooking wood in a number of different flavors, i.e. apple, cherry, hickory, pecan, maple, oak. I have also been using Cowboy's hickory wood which is available at Lowe's.

I posted a video today of my experience with B&B's apple wood which is kiln dried. I wasn't sure whether kiln dried is good or bad but my overall experience was very positive. Here's a link to the video.

Kiln dried wood/splits are probably the best wood to use. Regardless of wood type.
    Although I don't know how much I would trust Big Box Stores to supply my smoking wood.
    Last edited by Steve B; January 17, 2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been reading positive & not so positive comments about kiln dried wood. Some say that natural dried wood has better flavor but doesn't burn as hot. Some say kiln is too dry. Otherssay use a mix of both. Buying wood in packs is not my preferred route but I like the option of being able to get different flavors. It's not so much about trusting the big box store, it's more about trusting the brand that you're buying. But then again, I trust Ace much more than a larger store like Walmart.

That was another fun video. I also like the unbiased review of your chicken. I can tell that she would tell you if she didn't like it!

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL..... you're absolutely right about that tbob4! My wife is great at forming an instant & strong opinion about stuff. She won't hesitate to tell me if it's too spicy, not salty enough, too much of this, not enough of that. I always have to remind myself not to take it personally if she thinks that I missed the mark.

I occasionally use the store bought stuff in a pinch, but that would get really expensive to do all the time.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree 1000%. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can the wood at the store on clearance at the so called end of the BBQ season.

I only use kiln dry wood or wood that has been dried at least 6 months or more. You want wood that is a pretty consistent moisture constant for each smoke. .

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      That's good to know. I have a chord of oak that's been sitting on my log racks outside for over a year now. My dad recently cut down his cherry tree & offered the wood for me. I plan on letting it sit outside for a year before I start using it.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ken - don't let even a small branch of that cherry go to waste. I cut one down a couple of years back and still have some. I now use it primarily in my Vision grill because the big splits are gone. It is really nice wood to use.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here