Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the forum...some dead post oak trees on our land, when to use ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum...some dead post oak trees on our land, when to use ?

Hi I am new to BBQing and this is my first post here. My parents live 1hr West of Austin, Texas, and we have a few acres that contain some post oak and mesquite. Some of our post oak trees have died due to the recent drought a few years ago. I was wondering what's the best way to store the oak for seasoning? Can I cut them up and let them sit out in the sun or do I need to put a tarp over them ? And, how do I know when they are ready for use? How dry do they have to be? Thanks!

Welcome to The Pit.

Since the trees are dead, they may be close to seasoned, The way to find out is to cut one down and use a moisture meter to check - 20 to 30 % is good for smokin' wood. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=wood+mo...b_sb_ss_i_1_13
    To store the wood, I'd cut them to usable lengths and store off the ground. Two treated 2X4s stood on end and nailed together with spacers to keep the 2X4s far enough apart to support the cut wood will do nicely. Don't use a tarp - it will hold moisture in. Use an old piece of plywood or something similar to keep the rain off and you are set.

Comment

Cut a few branches off and send to me. I'll let you know when its ready. If they've been standing dead a couple of years they should be ready to go! Store like fire wood, keep covered. What type of cooker you using? If you're just adding a couple of chunks for smoke a shoe box full of oak chunks will last me a couple of years. I do have big feet.

Comment

Welcome from Wilson County,Texas!

I agree your post oak may be about ready to use. Just cut it up to size and store it with good air circulation. Your climate is relatively dry.
        Last edited by Texas Larry; December 9, 2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

What they said. Oh, and welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Good advice given above that will see you right.

Comment

Lucky you !!

Comment

Welcome from central Texas. As soon as you've been here long enough to get MCS, it won't take long, you should look at a stick burner. Free post oak, just think of the incredible food you could be turning out.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. Good advise above

Comment

Howdy from San Antonio! Doss, Texas is kinda out there somewhere. I rented a log splitter from Sunshine (inside Lowes) and my buddy, expert at everything, split a real cord (8x4x4), stacked, in about 2 1/2 hours. So I put him onto splitting sticks off my split post oak (only used for BBQ, expensive here locally!). Thirty minutes of that and a beer and off to return the splitter. $130 per day plus one gallon of gas less a $30 credit for early return.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here