Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Cheap, Easy, Removable Wood Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Cheap, Easy, Removable Wood Fire

Hi
    Need some help. In my quest to find out if I even like wood fire cooking, I tried a few things last year.
    1) wood chunks in my charcoal grille (fail because it melted the paint due to heat)
    2) wood chucks in my propane gas grill (fail because the heat discolored the stainless steel lid

I'd like to try again. Suggestions for what I could try.. Could I just sit like 4 big flat pavers on the grass, set a ring on top, fill w wood and top with a grate? but how to cover? I need a lid. Pizza testing. I'd like to not have anything permanent..not sure I can do this.

Maybe line a grill with tiles?

Thanks!
    Melissa

a couple of things i'll offer up.. YMMV. 1. if you are in an urban area, be sure you won't run afoul of fire ordinances with outdoor fire pits. you might need a burn permit. It's cheaper than a fine and less embarrassing than a fire truck out in front of your house. if you are out in the country, dig a hole in the grass, line with a ring of rocks and you are good to go. 2. patio blocks aren't fire rated, and will probably crack from the heat. you will have a mess to deal with when done. Portable pits are available at your local Big Box lumber mart and are worth the money... typically about $100 will get you a decent one. 3. even with a dedicated pit, i recommend a tripod grill setup to easily raise and lower your food to the fire/coals. just like camping.
    Good luck! let us know what you wound up doing and post pics of your setup!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here