Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longan, Rambutan and Lychee wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longan, Rambutan and Lychee wood

I am living in Chieng Mai, northern part of Thailand. I want to buy a stick burner smoker, but not quite sure whether local wood such as Longan, Lychee and Rambutan log will do or not. It will be expensive to import Oak, Pecan etc. Or I could choose to use pellet smoker. All your comments will be highly appreciated.

According to the Wood Database all 3 are members of the same family and are hardwoods so from that perspective you should be fine (never use softwoods for smoking). I can't speak to any flavour they may impart however.

Comment

• banchachiengmai
      banchachiengmai commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciated, I will try and will post in a while as I am getting a stick burner shipped to Thailand,

Lychee as you probably know is the traditional wood for smoking Peking Duck so you would be fine there. The other two are used for cooking charcoal so again they should be fine. If you are able I would do a test burn of each to get an idea of the heat, smoke and longevity of each. You want a wood that won’t burn up too fast if trying to keep a steady temperature in the chamber. I have no clue about the availability of pellets there or their quality. Good luck on your search.

Comment

• banchachiengmai
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your input, watching the fire and replenishing is ok with me, I love it. However, the taste that I would like to know,

I was going to the Wood Database, but pkadare beat me to it. All I have to add is that, once you find a supply of dried woods, do test cooks of some chicken with only a dry brine to decide which you like best.

Comment

Excellent ideas. Use cheap meat and do test burns to determine which of your woods provide a flavor you like. For example chicken is cheap over here and mild tasting, so it would be a good meat to test on if it is low priced for you.

Comment

• banchachiengmai
        Editing a comment
        Yes, yes, yes, goooood idea, thanks. Never thought of of it .

I'm interested to hear how this turns out. I wanted to order some Rambutan since I heard it's fantastic.

Comment

• banchachiengmai
        Editing a comment
        The fruit or the wood. The fruit is fantastic but the wood I haven't tasted it, lol.

Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t a long pre-burn mostly equalize the smoke flavor if he finds the wood flavor from any of them not exactly to his liking?

I’m talkin Rodney Scott style. Shouldn’t that make the type of hardwood used mostly irrelevant? (Which I know all 3 to be).

That’s possibly a loaded question around here, so apologies if so

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here