Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Wood Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Wood Question

Hey all,

I just arrived from Switzerland and was picking up a few of my orders. I ordered some smoking woods from Fruita Wood supply and got the U-Pick'em Pecan and Post Oak 3" chunks.

The photo on their website shows these nice clean chunks of wood but when the box arrived nearly every piece of wood is covered in bark. Is this normal? It seems really misleading to show one thing and then send another.

I wrote them and he offered to have me send them back and then he ships new wood chunks but I don't really have the time for that. I am super disappointed.

Can anyone recommend a smoking wood supplier that ships clean chunks of wood? Thanks!

Trees have bark, of course.

Perhaps th pics were not representative, but it will all be fine.

Outta any given batch of wood chunks, some will natcherly have bark on em.

I've ordered from Fruita many times, an always been Delighted by their products, an service.

I'm not sure what situation, or smoker yer cookin with, that makes ya worry bout some bark, but I can assure ya it doesn't hurt a thing, at all, Brother...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 3, 2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the US!

I am lucky enough to have plenty of good smoking wood in my area. Hickory, Cherry, Apple and Oak. Most of the wood I acquire has the bark still on. Sometimes if it is dry enough, it comes off easily.

I never bother removing the bark. Some of my wood has a little bark, some quite a bit. In my years of smoking, I can't say I have ever noticed any difference.

It's more about the actual wood - the fruit woods for lighter smokiness, the traditional hardwoods like hickory, oak and mesquite for more pronounced smoke flavor.

In my humble opinion (IMHO) the actual bark on the wood has much less influence on the flavor/outcome.

The bark burns fairly quickly (has a lot more air than the heartwood) so it really shouldn't cause too much of an issue.

Summary - unless the bark is wet/loaded with moss - no worries, go for it!

Comment

Hey, Thanks for chiming in and giving me some reference. I am using a Weber 22" Kettle with a Slow-n-Sear. I also have a Fire Board with a fan.

Comment

Yep don't be disappointed, the company I get my wood chunks from also has some bark on them. It would be very difficult for a company to remove it all.

Comment

In my opinion and honest advice, don't worry about it. Use the bark just as it is, or pull it off if you don't want to use it or if it's spongey or punky. I use bark all the time and I notice zero difference. FruitaWood is good stuff!

Comment

If its not all funky just leave it on.

Comment

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                "Funky" is the "like a knife through butta" wood bark test!

here's a couple stills from an offset cook I was lightin off, several months ago... notice how after splittin down some hickory, I picked up bark, an all, threw it into my OKJ???
              Click image for larger version  Name:	OKJ Bark 001.JPG Views:	1 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	751305
              Click image for larger version  Name:	OKJ Bark 002.JPG Views:	1 Size:	135.3 KB ID:	751306
              mountainsmoker
              Here's a veritabal BarkFest, gittin ready to go into a Brand-Spankin New GOOR...
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20180826_194751.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	751307

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180826_200334 (Custom).jpg Views:	1 Size:	294.9 KB ID:	751308

Food was Great , an is posted elsewhere...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 3, 2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                That hickory bark is some very underrated kindling.

Hey guys, thanks so much. There is a bit that looks funky with some green highlights but the rest looks straight forward. The main reason I went with them is that their photos looked better than everyone else I checked out. I was super stressed, as I only get to the US every two years and the guy pointed me towards his disclaimer. I just wanted everything to be perfect for my trip.

I am still going to trim them with my hatchet before hitting the fire, as I am a bit adverse to putting bark on the coals, but it's all good. I'll be sure to post some pics as it is my first time with the new technology and everyone here has been SUPER helpful. Thanks so much!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Lookin forward to yer cook pics, an enjoy yer trip to Th Great 48, Brother!!!

I had my first run with the Fireboard and Pit Viper fan set up. I was having some temperature control issue that I could not figure out for the longest time. I finally recognized that I plugged the fan into the wrong socket on the Fireboard cable. Once I got that sorted out it was smooth sailing. Here is a pork butt about half way into the cook.

I am planning on smoking a brisket on Saturday for a family party.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 1bottlerocket; October 10, 2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Don't worry about the bark, I use it all the time. As long as it isn't spongy/funky you're good. After all, bark is wood too.

Comment

I get all of my wood from Fruita and a lot of it has bark, which I don’t mind one bit. You won’t be disappointed. Fruita is a good company.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here