Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madrone wood???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madrone wood???

Hey.. I live in an area with lots of madrone wood... anyone have any experience with bbq smokers using dry madrone??? thanks

It is not listed as a toxic wood, and is used to make charcoal in some areas. It burns long and hot. I have no idea what the flavor is like.

I'd try a small amount on some chicken to see if you like the flavor.

Comment

I looked up Madrone in my notes on smoking woods. It produces a nice sweet smoke making it good for smoking. Here is a formal write up on it the first para. discusses the use of it for cooking and smoking. http://firewoodresource.com/firewood...tings/madrone/

As with any wood I would sneak up on how much you use as you start to use it
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 18, 2019, 10:40 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

What I like to do when testing a new would just get some cheap chicken legs or thighs, the 99 cent a pound kind, and use only salt on them. Then cook them up with the new wood. The lack of any other seasoning on it, only salt, really lets the smoke flavor shine through.

Comment

Hey, where do you live that there is madrone wood? BTW, let us know how it comes out. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

Go lightly. I like it as an open-fire wood, but when smoking it can overpower the food. There was a time when my kids told me no more madrone on the weber. Too smoky!

Comment

Welcome and let us know how it works.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here