Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Oak Wood in abundance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Oak Wood in abundance

I made contact with an old friend today who manufactures furniture out of American Oak. He throws away a skip bin a week of offcuts. The wood is not treated and buys them in beams.
    He mentioned getting both kiln dried and air dried.
    I imagine both are ok for smoking with?
    Is there a difference between the 2 if used for smoking and if there is which would be the better for smoking fuel?
    I am so stoked I could stoke a fire.

the only difference in the drying is one is mechanical is faster and the other sets in an area probably out of the sun, stacked to allow air flow and left to dry. The Kiln Dried is just that, dried in a heated chamber til the moisture gets as low as they want it. The heat also kills any bugs if any.

Comment

Will all work. Too dry of wood (kiln dried) can burn up awful quick, bu no real worries, just add more and more often. Congrats on a good score!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I paid R60 ($4) for 1 pound of wood chips past weekend and my first use of oak and loved it. I will be dropping off 5 off 50 pound bags for filling tommorow for free.😊

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree both burn just fine but my understanding is the kiln drying process may take some of the volatiles that add flavor out of the wood. Read that somewhere not sure it's true. Opt for the air dry if you can, but either will work. Nice find !!!

Congratulations on a good source of wood. Oak makes a great cooking fire.

Comment

oak is the most versatile imo. Air dried would be best as it will not burn as fast.

Comment

That is great!

Comment

You going to love what it does to grilled foods.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Had my first taste of oak wood chips past weekend and loved it.

Congrats. It would be nice if you took your friend something smoked with his wood.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Is in my plans

Awesome. I know where I live oak wood is hard to come by. There are plenty of fruit woods (apple, peach, cherry, etc.) available but not a lot of oak. I have a friend who works at a tree service and I asked him a few months ago if they ever took down any oak trees and he said he would save me some when they did. Talked to him a couple days ago and he said he had about a cord ready to go. I was only expecting a small load of branches and trimmings but he has full logs. Can't wait to get it chopped, stacked, and burnt.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              PM me if you'd like a box of red oak chunks. Can't send you enough for a stickburner but chunks I can.

Great find. Oak can be used on almost anything and provide a good flavor. In the US we have many varieties all with a slightly different flavor. From white oak in the east, to post oak in Texas.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, we have oak in WHACKY land also.

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I know tried to keep my answer short, as far as I know every state has some variety. It is the most common tree in the US.

With a supply like that you might consider making your own lump charcoal. It's not for everyone, but a small retort is easy to put together.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thought crossed my mind.

Actually most of the wood chunks we buy in bags in the grocery store and big box retailers is kiln dry. The reason is concerns over transportation of wood that may contain certain little bugs or parasites. The moisture content gets down to like 8% which is why, like has been stated, it burns very quickly.

But hey if it's free, burn the heck out of it !! Nice score !!

Comment

Sweet find! Oak is very versatile for smoking . . . . . . and ask any bourbon drinker, it has that other great use :-)

Comment

Finding a wood source like is the best! Smoak on!

Comment

Buy a motorized wood chipper and start selling it.

Comment

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I plan on but will need to employ somebody or find somebody to do it part time I honestly don't have the time.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here