Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Punky wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Punky wood

I'm not real experienced in dealing with wood, but I've recently been chopping up some of the wood I've had on the side of our house for the past couple years. What I've found is that it is much lighter than expected and the chainsaw goes through it in a few seconds, even the thick stuff.

Below is a picture of one of the cut ends. Is this what is referred to as "punky"? What could cause it? Am I right to assume I shouldn't use this wood for cooking, but it needs to go in the bonfire stack? It's a shame to lose so much wood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190829_075023.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	736783

That usually comes from a fungal infection in the wood. For that reason, I would probably toss it in the bonfire.

I don't think it would make you sick or anything, but it would bonfire wood for me. I know it is not ideal but that is what I would do. That being said, I also have a ton of wood and I can be more selective,

Comment

I would not use it in your smoker. As it is a fungus it would give the food a funky smell. Not the clean smoke you want. Burn it as heating wood.

Comment

Should you burn rotten firewood or punky firewood? Read here to find out.

Comment

Would Punky Brewster still use it???

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Jim McMahon would!

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            I was wonderin about the Brewster thing when I saw the title too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here