Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to use scrap wood for smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to use scrap wood for smoking?

One of my hobbies is smoking (duh), and another one is woodworking. I end up throwing out a bunch of small scraps, and all of a sudden i thought, "could i use these in the smoker?" I am doing a project out of oak, and i just don't know if typical hardwood for woodworking is treated with chemicals i don't necessarily want in my food. Anyone know?
    Thanks!

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t think so.

Comment

For the most part you would safe. Treated wood has defined levels of treatment against standards and are labeled as such. If not labeled then a building inspector, or a buyer, could not tell if the lumber is treated to a level required for the use. It may be stenciled on the side, or more likely a plastic tag stapled to the end. Lumber treated for fire resistance must also be labeled.

Comment

If you've ever opened a bag of hardwood lump charcoal you would notice it is scrap wood. As long as the wood hasn't been painted, stained, or oiled it is safe to smoke with.

Comment

Agree with ComfortablyNumb No paint, no stain, no varnish, no pine of other soft woods. Keep to maple, oak, cherry, walnut the common hard woods and you will be fine.

Comment

And I would suggest domestic woods only. Some exotics may be harmful...

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, don't ,use anything like teak, rosewood or mahogany. Their oils they may flavor the food in an unpleasant way.

thanks for all the responses. Even in unusable chunks, i think id die inside if i burned teak, rosewood or mahogany. I am building a bunch of cabinets out of quarter sawn oak, so i think I'll give it a try!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              You start making cutting boards..... ;-)

Yep, agree with the above. I have been working through a big supply of oak, cherry, maple, walnut, and olive wood scraps from my shop that I cut into chunks a while back. All clean untreated lumber, great stuff and free.

Comment

You will be fine. I have a good supply of left over beech wood (from a kitchen floor). I use that when smoking fish. Completely untreated wood of course.

Comment

I have untreated / unfinished raw wood hickory tongue and grove flooring scraps. Tried it once, but didn't care ofr the outcome. Disappointed as I thought hickory would be a winner.

Comment

• au4stree
                  au4stree commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am timid with tongue and groove scraps as the joints are often glued together and that in turn makes into the burn. It is one of the reasons I quit using Cowboy lump charcoal.....the bag was FULL of finger jointed trim pieces.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  au4stree I gotta think that raw wood wouldn't have any glue whether it's from the manufacturer or the installer, usually it's cut before it's glued, right?

• au4stree
                  au4stree commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee correct, but if it is actually joined then it is likely glued. Hard to tell though when it is in charcoal form. I misunderstood this post, if it's raw, you would be correct. Good catch.

I get oak from a whiskey barrel manufacturer, they work great. As long as you know there is nothing added to the wood you are fine. I love the stuff.

Comment

You can get good wood chunk scraps by going by your lumber yard.

Comment

My rule of thumb is this - if I am using it for smoking I stay with the traditional wood sources. If I am grilling I might put in some scratch woods - abiding by all that has been posted. Anything questionable is on the outside of the wood and when it gets to the coal stage I am OK with it for grilling. For smoking I just don't take the chance.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here