Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will make a stick burner cry....and it's not smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will make a stick burner cry....and it's not smoke

So most everyone here knows I live in the Okanogan Valley, which is known for apple, cherry, and pear production. The market is in turmoil, trade wars and new varieties are driving down prices of older varieties and small orchards are choosing to get out of the business rather than go through the expense of trying to change over. The result is they are bulldozing down their orchards. Heavy equipment is brought in and the trees are yanked out of the ground and shoved into piles, to be set on fire once the weather changes. One orchard about a mile from me has tree piles taller than a house, and several of them. My neighbour across the road had his orchard done last spring, below are pictures of when it was done and what it looks like now. All that fine smoking wood will just go to waste.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1290.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	732193

Name:	IMG_1325.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	732192

Name:	IMG_1709.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	732194

Not a stick burner bu'm still crying!

Comment

Man, does bring a tear to my eye.

Comment

@ComfortablyNumb, I also cry with you. We have a second home in Hood River, and I drive by the pruning piles in the valley. Most of the larger cuts are spoken for by the wood fired pizza establishments (stop at Solstice Pizza near the Hood River Waterfront Park & try the 'Country Girl' Bing cherry and Mexican chorizo pizza there; the combo is a delicious celebration of flavors and cultures. Finish with a Cici gelato at the tiny stand next door.)
        I know an orchardist who lets me pull from his burn pile. Dirty work, in 90F weather, yellow jacket nests, and sorting out the farm workers' debris (old cabinets, construction debris, etc.). However, I can fill my old Safari with forearm and larger sizes of cherry, apple, pear. It's also a great size for the KBQ. I would almost drive to the Okanagon for the opportunity to take some of those trees!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Love Hood River. Used to stop at Bette's Place for breakfast when passing through.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Bette's is a great place for a trucker or farmer!

A travesty

Comment

All of Johnny Appleseed’s work going up in smoke. I suspect he might think this trend is a sack of .......

Comment

Any idea what they are going to do with the land?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Where they had taken out some trees is already in alfalfa hay, probably will put the rest in as well.

won't let you "glean" some?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Probably will because I'm a neighbour and his son-in-law cuts my hay. I don't know if they would let just anybody because of the litigious society we find ourselves in. But my foot and a million other things to do has kept me from having time to go over.

That looks like work, that makes me cry

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              My favourite Ronald Reagan quote: "I've heard that hard work never killed anyone, but I say why take the chance?"

I'm actually more concerned with the food production going to waste than the smoking wood. It is sad. But at least if they're using the land to feed cattle that should drop the price of briskets & steaks, right?.. so let's go with that if we have to

Comment

• Timcee
              Timcee commented
              Editing a comment
              ComfortablyNumb ... Big players like Monsantos?

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Timcee No, the large growers, the biggest name in the valley is Gebbers, a name you may be familiar with as they also do beef. They have their own packing shed and a fleet of retired school busses to move their workers around their vast acreage of orchards.

THE WORLD’S FRESHEST APPLES, CHERRIES, AND PEARS GROW HERE. THE PERFECT CHERRY FARMING – IT’S IN OUR DNA A GROWING TRADITIONGebbers Farms has become one of the

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              In the Hood River valley, and on the Washington side of the Columbia as well, orchards are being pulled out and replaced by vineyards. I guess it's all fruit. But, the vineyards won't produce the nice piles of wood for smoking or pizza ovens. However, I do love my wine.

Screw the new. Anybody buy a tomato (blueberry, melon,.... ) at the store lately? Has no taste. But it doesn't get bruised during shipping!

Apples are another one. Prices are to high! Nobody buys them, they rot and get chucked.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Many of the new varieties are patented and the packing sheds that own the patents only allow so many acres be planted to keep the prices high. It is a huge investment to graft an orchard and production is lost for a few years.

I feel for you. As recently as the mid '80s, around here was citrus groves as far as the eye could see. The citrus is basically all gone now having been replaced by concrete and plywood abominations.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              I remember going up in the Orange Tower on vacation about 1983!

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              mrteddyprincess - If you meant the citrus tower in Clermont, I grew up about 3 miles from it.

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              That's it! The Florida Citrus Tower. Rode to the top and then drank free orange juice at the bottom. My aunt lived in Orlando and we visited frequently.

Saw the piles (barely) in the original photo but wouldn't have guessed in a million years. Too bad. I do like some of the new apple varieties, but I am tired of fads. Nobody uses their own brains to decide what they like anymore, they just follow the herd.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here