Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almond Wood Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almond Wood Suggestions

Dad, KenC52 gave me a tater sack full of almond chunks last time I was there (as well as 3 of hickory). I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen and or ladies who have some experience using the aforementioned fuel could share with me what proteins you find it pairs with best. I know we all like different flavor profiles, but I'm just looking for a starting point, and or any info/suggedtions. Thank you all in advance.

I have a tree in the front of my house and prune it every 2 years. Mild to strong smoke is aboutall I can put on a flavor profile. Works good for smoking.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks. Yeah dad used some with oak on a brisket and said it was strong and he liked it. I'm gonna bathe some chicken halves in it tonight. If it's too strong, not much loss, yard bird is cheap.

Scroll down a bit to see what woods pair with:

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      says it is similar to pecan. U use exclusively pecan on all things bird. I'll smoke up some chicken halves tonight with it. Thanks.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I was going to say I bet its a lot like pecan. That being the case I'd use it for pork and poultry. I still need oak and good old mesquite for beef.

Nice article btw Robb

I don't know about "best" but I've used it on brisket and pork chops & loins and I was happy.

Comment

I use it like I do Oak..........so I use it with every kind of meat. It is a fine hardwood. Honestly, I think it is more about how well you manage your fire, more than anything. That being said, I can tell the difference between woods, just not a ton.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with the exception of mesquite, there's a definite distinction. What I don't like is the bad rep it gets. You nailed it when you said it's how you handle the fire that makes all the difference. When you learn how to handle mesquite, it's some of the best flavor wood on the planet imo.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I love mesquite when grilling hot and fast with a skirt or flank steak. I found that the key with mesquite is to have a HOT fire. Allowing it to burn clean. Then the flavor really comes through and you dont have any bitter taste in the smoke. It is devine and what I think a cattle camp in Texas would taste and smell like. Troutman

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 with comments above Mesquite can belch smoke like nothing else if it ain't hot..
        Easier to manage a fire at 325f than 225f in a stick burner and make clean smoke.

....plus the fact that I really like and miss the 'Almond' Brothers...er Allman...oh you know what I mean !!!

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Holey smokes, pardon the pun, look how young they are
        Great tune too
        Can't add anything of value to the wood thing

Couple yard birds slathered in Mayo and dusted in my Cluster Cluck rub getting ready for their almond smoke body scrub.
      Attached Files

Comment

Annnnnnddddd by the miracle of time...
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow.... great lookinn bird.. You Texans can cook things other than beef ribs n Brisket

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Chicken is my weakest protein. I can murder Some spare or St.Lewis cut pork ribs too, lol.

I have a ? about wood, a friend of mine is a contractor and was finishing out a house in maple trim, he saved me the left overs for my smoker any reason not to use them, they are free of any stain.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            have they been treated?

Brewmaster as long as they have no additives or stain additives added to them they will be fine. Just ask him if he has coated them with anything. I coat my wood with a pre-stain so the stain coats the wood a continuos color.

Comment

Like others have said, almond is considered to be similar to pecan. I like to use it with chicken.

Comment

I liked it with pork shoulder and ribs. Didn’t like it enough to get more, but had no problem using what I had. Oak is my go to for everything.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here