Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know there is no such thing as a stupid question on AR, but here goes one anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know there is no such thing as a stupid question on AR, but here goes one anyway

I'll start with the question, and then move on to the explanation. Do perfectly good wood chunks lose their flavor as they get older?

I've been smoking on and off for about 3 years on my WSM. Not as much as I'd like to, so I'm trying to remedy that. When I first started smoking, I bought several pounds of Oak and Hickory wood chunks. 3 years later, I still have a few bags left. They're all sealed up air tight. And they're not dried out at all. So, can wood just... lost flavor over time? Like I said, I'm starting to get into outdoor cooking again, and I have no problem buying new wood chunks if that's what I should do.

As always, thanks for your help. I hope that one day I can finally give advice instead of just asking for it.

disclaimer. I am no expert...

It is my experience that the dryer, not a matter of age, the wood the less flavor it imparts into the meat, however I could have been under the influence during that experience.

As long as the wood isn't beginning to decay or grow fungus, use it. let us know!

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Plenty of decay and fungus in my garage, but not on the wood. Thanks!

The short answer is yes. Let your nose be the guide. If you open some up and it still has a strong smell then it'll probably give you good flavor. If the smell is weak or non-existent then you still have a good fuel but not much flavor.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very helpful. Thanks.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Great avatar.

There is some loss in flavor but I feel it is minimal. I have bought my wood chunks in a large 34lb boxes, and they have lasted over 5 years flavor wise. I just keep the boxes closed. I will buy smaller quantities as I am not smoking as much as I used to.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed minimal loss at best

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree as well. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the strong odors associated with fresh cut woods are due to volatile chemicals in the wood, and that you want most of those out for smoking, hence seasoning your wood. I know that the pine lumber that comes out of the kilns at my father in laws sawmill has MUCH less odor than when it is fresh. He to said its due to the evaporation of volatile chemicals during the rapid drying process.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Your point that wood is kiln dried is the key point.
      I'd hazard to say 100% of wood for chip production is kiln dried which helps in longevity of product if stored correctly.
      To try to chip just seasoned or wet wood would make for lousy looking chips and chip more prone to decay and rot, don't care how you stored it.

Flavor loss will be minimal. Just make sure the wood is clean - no mold or fungus. If it becomes too dry it’ll burn too fast, so the perception would be that one chunk didn’t give as much flavor.

Also...not a dumb question at all!!!

Comment

Well, there is a matter if’n they were a bed post overnight. 😎

Oh, that’s chewing gum, ............never mind.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        ♩♪♫♬"Does yer ..."♬♫♪♩

Lol Brother, thanks fer th Memory Refresh!

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Had to look that one up. Didn't get the reference.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        (SmokinG) 77 sry, I've been repeatedly told that I can be maddeningly mysterious, at times....reckon that's my bad....
        Hope yer Googlin finger mends up jus fine, Brother

My brain kicked in and made me think:

Older=Dryer
      Dryer=Burn Quicker
      Burn Quicker=Not as much Smoke
      Not as much Smoke=Not as much Flavor

I am not a scientist but I am staying in a Holiday Inn Express in about a week.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Good practice.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        = fast holiday. 🕶

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Wrong 1 year old chunk burns 1.25 hours, 5 year old chunks burn 1.15 hours. There has been little difference in time or flavor. in the chunks I buy.

I think you'll be fine. For me it's the whole background flavor I want rather than upfront, in your face and blow out your taste buds kinda acrid flavor.

if in your face is what you seek try mesquite.

Roll with it.

Thats just me.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Mesquite is the most bitter of the woods and only the Texans seem to like it. Go for hickory instead. Then try adding some fruit woods

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a Texan, though I was a Longhorn.

Love mesquite.

So much for that theory.

Originally posted by Smoking77 View Post
      I know there is no such thing as a stupid question on AR...
      Who said that?

This is a good question, but I think some people are trying to falsify the very proposition that the dumbest question is the one unasked.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Then I'll have to rack my brain to think of the dumbest question that has ever been asked or unasked. Knowing me, it shouldn't take long.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Until ya have surpassed my dumbarse questions, Brother, yer not even gittin close to bein in th runnin...
        Onliest way I can learn, though, an that's what I'm here fer...
        Smoking77

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful.

Comment

This actually is a good question. I was always told to not try and opine when I really don’t know the answer, so my answer is I really don’t know.

I am intrigued, maybe a good Dr. Blonder question. Variables are; moisture loss, loss of certain oils, decay/rot, fungus. What is it in wood that really imparts flavor during combustion? All good questions the Doc may have addressed in his articles on the free side. Guess I’ll go look

Comment

This is why I gave the short answer, yes, because there are a lot of variables. The flavor component generally comes from the Volatile Organic Compounds fraction of the wood. Volatiles, being volatile, will off gas and decrease or oxidize over time but the rate of loss is directly dependent on all the environmental factors you mention and more.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea I guess what I’m saying is I just don’t know what the rate of VOC decomposition is. Can they be preserved and how best to do that. Personally I don’t hold wood very long so not a big concern, but others may benefit from knowing.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman FireMan and above. I was just gonna say all of that.

• aladdin4d
            aladdin4d commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman If I were a scientist........

as long as its still solid, not moldy or punky you are fine.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup.

I read once that there is a moisture content point that is best, don't recall what it is, but I bet that takes a long time to get under to where you would notice a difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here