Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help identifying this wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying this wood

Any idea? I’m hoping oak.
    Attached Files

Looks like Hickory to me.

Comment

hickory would be a score! Any other ideas?

Comment

Do you have a picture of a leave. I would know for sure then. I would you being in Charlotte with a tree that size a red oak. White prefer a cooler climate like here in the NC mountains, but it could be one also. Call your Agricultural Extension Service and have them identify it for sure. Every county in NC has one to serve the people, paid for by your state taxes.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Leaves/Limbs were sporadically placed everywhere next to pile mixed in with other stuff. Wasn’t sure what to take a picture of. Maybe I’ll go back and grab the pile of wood.

Hickory. I live in Hickory Hill Estates. My street is Hickory Hill and my property includes and abutts wetlands. Guess what the prominent tree is?

Also here;

Hickory - belonging to a section of the walnut family - is a canopy tree that is prevalent in eastern North America, although other species of hickory have been known to exist in Europe, Africa and Asia. The hickory tree produces a dense,...

Comment

Hickory it could be. But I am used to seeing a more rough and shaggy bark on NC hickory and it didn't have the 5 star center of most hickories or the evenly spaced rows of bark..
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 16, 2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

That bark and dark heartwood definitely make it look like some type of hickory.

Comment

Easily among th best tree identification guide, (an survival manual) available, at any price...
              Ya can thank me, later....

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                I really wish you hadn't posted that, it caused a collector's itch!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Jus one ol hillbilly's opinion, but I reckon every man, woman, an child oughtta have a copy of this, within easy reach...

Shop around; I have given many (NOT MINE!!!) copies to friends, an loved ones, over th years...don't pay more than ya haveta, or wanna, fer nostalgia's sake...

How ya feelin, today, Brother?

I just picked up a haul of it. Any harm in giving it a shot? The branches are mixed in and scrambled with other branches and trees. I’m hoping this is good wood for smoking!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Fire that Bad Boy up, Brother!

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree it is a smoking type of some type of wood. Go light on it at first. You may be able to tell by smell with the first few chunks.

My haul!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Mum's th Word, Brother!!!
                Whatcha gittin, if I might ask???
                I might jus be gittin me (another) one, as well; I've recently run across a couple sweet deals on trailer smokers, which is where I think this dog an pony show is headed, next
                Stay Tuned, lol!

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones a custom smoker from a guy nearby Charlotte who is a steel fabricator. He seems reallllly good at making these pits, and is fully custom. Should be ready in the next few weeks!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool Beans, indeed, Brother!
                I Suwannee not to breathe even a word of this, to anybody!

Yer gonna want to be a scourin CL, etc., find ya some more wood, Amigo!

I hope that ya find stickburnin to be th peaceful, rewardin, enjoyable process that I, an many other regard it as!

I ain't even gonna brag up th food flavour, cause I couldn't probly do it justice, but once ya eat some, we can talk...

More on what’s on the inside. Hoping for some smoking wood! Too much work splitting by axe!
              Attached Files

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd rip off one of the larger splinters, light it and see how the smoke smells. That's my test when in doubt.

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't split from the centre, rather try to hit one of the natural cracks a couple of inches from the bark. Some wood is just tough, check a rental yard for a splitter,

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Steve R. Good idea! ComfortablyNumb yes, i’ve Learned that lesson! Sooo much easier!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here