Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to incorporate wood chunks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to incorporate wood chunks?

Sorry for all of the posts, I am reading all the articles on the main site but confused since usually no pictures videos. I want to use wood chunks for sure in grilling. Is the best method to make a foil pouch with slits and stick it under (?) the grill grate between the bars where the fire comes from? If you buy the grill grates where exactly is meathead saying to toss in the wood chunks?? Or is there some better way? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

What are you cooking on? If you want to use chunks just put either on top of the charcoal our on the grate above the burner on a gas grill. Start with small chunks and keep track of how much you use. Next time you can add or subtract as needed. Foil pouches are good for wood chips.

Comment

Gas grill! Sorry. By grate above the burner do you mean the grate that the food goes on? So next to the food?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Place it above the burner that is turned on. That way the flames will make the wood chunks smolder.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        And yes, on the food grate. Have one burner running, and the other(s) turned off. Wood on the hot side, food on the cooler side. Lid closed.

twiggy on a gas grill I am not sure how well wood chunks work. I've made foil pouches of wood chips before, poked holes in the foil, and put it on the flavorizer bars above the lit burner when cooking indirect on a Weber gas grill. There is also a smoke tube you can buy, where you use wood pellets - the same type used by pellet smokers (such as Traeger, etc). These are the pellets that Meathead discusses throwing into the valley between the rails on your Grillgrates. I don't think you want chunks or chips on top of Grillgrates.

The main use of wood chips or pellets on a gas grill would be when slow cooking BBQ, and you put them overt the lit burner, and the meat over a burner that is not lit. The only exception would be that review of the Grillgrates, where Meathead mentions tossing wood pellets onto the Grillgrate, and then they are right below the meat that is being cooked (direct). This would put a little wood smoke on a steak or something.

Comment

Thank you everyone!! Chips are fine, just something to ease my transition from charcoal to gas grilling! Is there any method that might qualify as the easiest? Would it be the smoke tube?

Comment

If you have flavorizer bars, a chunk or two by the burner that is on will produce a lot of smoke. Whether it will adhere to your food or not, different question, as gas grills are really well vented, not designed to hold the smoke in. Safety issue with propane or sth.

When I rotisserie, I use burner 1 and burner 4 of my 4 burner Genesis. There are 5 flavorizer bars for four burners (numbering left to right, flavorizer 4 is over an empty burner slot). I put two chunks between F1 and F2, and another chunk or two between F4 and F5. These light, then smolder. A lot of nice smoke. Makes the deck smell great. Adheres enough smoke to the item spinning to produce a smoke ring and a pleasant wood smoke flavor. Not the intense smoke of a dedicated smoker, but enough that my wife raves. and that's what matters, in the end, right?

Comment

Remember, the cleanest best tasting smoke is NOT smoldering wood but wood that burns with a flame. The wood is consumed more rapidly, and there is little visible smoke, but there is "blue smoke" invisible flavorful smoke whose particles are too small to refract light. So I prefer chunks as close to the flame as possible so they ignite. You use more wood, but you get good flavor. More about smoke here https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...wood-smoke-and

I have a picture of the chunks on a gas grill on this page https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...aintenance-and

Comment

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
              Remember, the cleanest best tasting smoke is NOT smoldering wood but wood that burns with a flame. The wood is consumed more rapidly, and there is little visible smoke, but there is "blue smoke" invisible flavorful smoke whose particles are too small to refract light. So I prefer chunks as close to the flame as possible so they ignite. You use more wood, but you get good flavor. More about smoke here https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...wood-smoke-and

I have a picture of the chunks on a gas grill on this page https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...aintenance-and
              Click image for larger version

Name:	wood-chunks-gas-grill.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	679011

Click image for larger version

Name:	WC2O-uSOitcuNwRMy38V6df1H6bwn57QFe2a455UFKgJBUyBfCqca3N4l4hNa-gG1iA6K2eaq__Oy_k-_4Ylr1k211eN6dSAjD4PgHg0xiu_ne15PWT3WW1sO9btSK97-CRalWA0IdMaHRuQjCkrw8_8KPMb6Fxn7Z4Hujc6Zy-R8i8CzkW9gERlDyjLj8iUBhBcvNiiS8IRWaHutd8wkpqHnOpvGQ_FfkmIVEy3PKS-8vnO4HBoQmhwPHzuUwv
Views:	522
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	679012

Comment

• Surly Viking
                Surly Viking commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for this picture. I just got new flavorizer bars on my 12 year old weber, and want to try a few wood chunks and the pellet tray when I do ribs this weekend.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here