Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Questions - Green wood vs dried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Questions - Green wood vs dried

Good morning! I am only on the trail here, so I want to bundle my questions up front.

Last night I brought home a significant amount of pear wood. Since the tree was just dropped, it's loaded with sap (its spring time). Is it better to split the wood and let it dry for a year, or chunk it up and use it while it's this loaded with moisture? (I'm running on a pit barrel and my wife doesn't like overly smoky flavors)

Next question, per Meatheads suggestion I prepare my pork butts the evening before by trimming off a significant portion of fat and other unwanted bits, then salting. Is there any issue to doing this on Thursday night to smoke on Saturday?

Realistically, how long can I hold a cooked butt or ribs in a faux cambro? I would like to begin holding it for 3 hours or so, just to avoid the panic that always happens when guests are ready to eat and I'm stuck doing other things.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club! Thanks for joining up!

Split the wood, stack it and keep it elevated off the ground to keep it from rotting from the bottom of the stack. I like to use pallets to stack my smoking wood on. You can find them at hardware stores for free, is you ask them. Especially during the spring season when they are getting bags of mulch and the like.

You can let that butt sit for a few days without issue. Just don't go much longer than a few days. Pork fat oxidizes faster than beef fat, so you don't get as much time.

I have held butts in a cambro for 4 hours, without issue. Make sure the meat does not drop below 165 F. Pack your cambro with towels to eliminate any open space in the cooler.

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
    • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!
    • Finally, we would LOVE to hear from you! Please check out our Pit Cast. You can have a chat with Greg Rempe, from the BBQ Central Show! Not too worry, he makes things easy! This is a great way for our community to meet our new members on a more personal level! Check out all the Pit Casts here!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Spinaker failed to mention that you should let the wood age before using after you stack it. If you try burning it when it's green it will tend to smolder and give off acrid smoke that will not leave a pleasant taste on your smoked food. Here's an article by Meathead on the free part of the site explaining how wood works for us...

Learn all about wood smoke and how it adds flavor to BBQ. Find out whether you should be using wood chunks, chips, pellets, logs, or sawdust in your cooker. Discover the truth behind the claim that different woods have different flavors.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Good thing you are here, I figured since he asked if he should split it, that was implied.

I agree with both Spinaker and Troutman Their advice is spot on. I’ve held butts as long as 6 hrs. With no problem.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike At least they weren’t my own 😂😂

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        First thing that popped in my head was rodeo dances! There's just something about those Wrangler jeans....

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike And cowgirl boots 👢

+1 on the butt holding (that sounds slightly strange). And welcome to the pit - I would be willing to bet that after the trial period is up that post script under your user ID will change from "trial member" to "club member"

Comment

To add to what spinaker said. Greenwood will produce a dirty smoke with an unpleasant flavor . You need dry wood.. welcome to the pit..

Comment

Welcome from Louisiana. Those that replied are spot on.

I'll only add that you likely will not need to wait a year to use your wood. Its dependent on the size of your splits and your weather. I would suspect you could easily use some of it this fall.

Comment

In the meantime, while you're waiting on your wood to season so that it can be used to smoke with, most big chain hardware stores sell bags of split pieces of wood that are seasoned. When I don't have my own seasoned wood I sometimes buy a bag or two from a hardware chain called Menard's. It's supposed to be hickory and it works well. It's about $15 a bag and I can get a five hour smoke from one bag. I think you're going to like your pear wood once it's dried out!

Comment

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              I get the apple from Medard's, here in the LOU. We've got so much wood on Craig's List that's free or nearly so, that's my go to for everything else.

I have nothing to add, but welcome to the Pit.

Comment

Go ahead and cut that pear wood into chunks and find a nice sunny spot to let them dry. Those chunks will dry much faster than split logs.

Comment

I put my smoking chunks and splits into my attic to season. They stay warm and dry.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great Idea, thanks IowaGirl
                  Perfect environment to expedite smoker wood seasonin!

I always have probly ~700 in th back of my mobile smokerwood curin conveyance (SuBourban) fer th same reasons, but yers has better airflow!
                  An would not adversely affect my ET's

Another good source is Fruita Wood. It is a little pricey, but I have a box that includes apple, peach and cherry and I have been satisfied. No fruit wood trees laying around near me.

Comment

Welcome to the PIT! By now you know green sap in your cooker is never a good thing. Have a great time here.

Comment

Happy to see so many supportive comments on using dry wood. That is what I was leaning towards, but have a friend that is an advocate for the complete opposite. My gut was telling me that is wrong.
                    Am I understanding this correctly that not only should I split the wood, but I should chunk it right away too? Baseball size?

As for the Menards comments; I'm from Wisconsin where Menards originated... there is always one near by.

Comment

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I personally would go a little smaller, like 2" cube, but baseball size would work. But yes, go ahead and chunk it right away so you can use it sooner.

• Ahumadora
                      Ahumadora commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Use a machete and you should be able to shave off the bark easily. ( Don't need it 100% clean , then split it. It will dry a lot faster. tell your friend to get a trial membership to the pit. It will bump his bbq skills up a notch or 2

Another thing to factor in, when agin smoker wood, besides location, temp, airflow, humidity, etc., is wood density, an porosity...

Takes more time to git dense ol oak, hickory, mesquite, etc. dried out enough, vs many fruitwoods...

I haven't seasoned any pear, though I use it a lot, it is sourced from already seasoned local orchards...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here