Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticks or briquettes and sticks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticks or briquettes and sticks?

So I have a Horizon 20”classic. I am fairly new to smoking and am still learning the ropes. I know this can be a sensitive topic but is straight stick burning the way to go or using briquettes and wood combo? I have tried to be a straight stick burner (except for overnight cooks where I use a charcoal basket with briquettes and wood chunks). Sometimes I feel I may be over smoking going with only wood. I enjoy the fire management but looking for what people are getting the best results doing. Any advice would be appreciated.

I liked having a bed of charcoal to place my splits on. I've run solid smoke on sausage for the duration of the cook with awesome results.

Ya know it's stinkin' threads like this that MAKE me miss having an offset. (No victimness being practiced in this response, whatsoever.)

Comment

I would go with straight wood. As long as you keep a good fire, you should not over smoke the food. Sometimes it can get long and our fires can suffer, flavors released when a fire is not burning well will give you bitter tasting BBQ.

There is certainly nothing wrong with using charcoal, it is easier and has a different flavor that some like and some do not. That is up to the folks you are feeding.

For me personally, nothing beats solid wood, the whole time. That being said, most of the time I am smoking, I am using lump and chucks in a Kamado.

Comment

I usually start my OKJ Bandera with a chimney of charcoal and then use straight spits the rest of the cook. The charcoal is mainly to get the smoker up to temp and they are easier to get started for me and then they light the splits...

Fortunately I am able to get the Hickory and Oak that I need for free from my parents place so running spits is more economical for me right now...

Comment

In my Horizon 20" Classic, I use charcoal to git my wood goin, then run straight wood alla th way...

Never had any product that seemed oversmoked, thus far.

As stated above, maintainin a small, hot, efficient fire makes fer clean smoke...

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            True story.

• Scout789
            Scout789 commented
            Editing a comment
            Xactly what I do as well.

It seems to me that if you have an offset going with charcoal and wood chunks kind of defeats the purpose. You can go with charcoal and wood chunks in a kettle. Offsets are designed to burn splits and it's my understanding that wood produces a different flavor profile than charcoal + chunks.

Comment

• clb239
            clb239 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have to agree...Butts cooked on my OKJ has a different flavor than on my PBC or Kettle...I like the flavor from my OKJ better...The PBC is still my go to for chicken and ribs though...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here