Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood source

I'm going to be headed to the farm to cut wood when the weather clears a bit. Right now I have a rather large burr oak that has fallen. I am wondering if there is a difference between the quality of smoke wood from the trunk vs. the branches. It wouldn't seem to me it would make any difference but I am interested to hear someone else's thoughts. Other trees available to me are mulberry and black walnut.

The only difference I can think of is that there will be a larger ratio of bark to wood with the branches. Some people remove bark, and some don't.

Comment

The bark on the branches is much thinner, so I don't really consider that a factor. The trunk of that oak tree will have a lot of water to dry out in the seasoning process, while the branches will get drier faster. But both should work fine.

Comment

That oak dropped last summer during a storm. Kind of what I thought that it wouldn’t matter much. Just wondered if the heartwood burned any different

Comment

If it's dry there should no discernible difference. There's so much going on with BBQ flavors that those little subtleties will most likely be lost and it will taste like great smoked food.

Comment

From my local wood guy I get branches as well as trunk pieces (all about the same size). Never noticed a difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here