Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon Infused Smoker Bricx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourbon Infused Smoker Bricx

I was given these bourbon Infused sugar maple chunks and I was wondering what would be good to try with them. My first thought was bacon. Any other suggestions?
    Attached Files

It would seem to me that the alcohol would immediately burn off and you would be just left with wood chunks. Could not see where it would impart any flavor. Let us know how well it turns out.... probably a fast cook like a steak might help to utilize the bourbon quickly before it flashes off.

Comment

You should try Huskee 's smoke test and smoke an unsalted, plain chicken breast to see what flavor it imparts.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Salted, just not seasoned. You still want it to be palatable.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, plain salt no seasoning.

They'll just taste like smoke. There's a lot of hype surrounding stuff like this, but when it burns it's just smoke. There's so little bourbon actually in them, which has long since evaporated otherwsie the chunks would feel wet. Add to that so much going on with meat, maillard, seasoning, rub, charcoal, the wood's other smoke particles, you won't likely taste even the slightest "bourbon". (My opinion). I've used barrel staves, both whiskey and wine, and there was ZERO essence of either in the meat, they simply tasted smoked.

Like Attjack mentions, the way I like to test a new wood is if you have 2 cookers, and they're similar (2 kettles, for instance), cook some salted-only chicken, no other seasoning or rub, so as not to affect the smoke's flavor. (Could also do 2 quick cooks on the same cooker, just remove the one chunk with tongs and add the new chunk with the new meat I suppose.) Cook half the chicken with a known favorite wood, cook the other half with the new wood. Do a side by side taste test. Make everything in both cooks as equal as possible (type of chicken, amount of charcoal, cooking temp, size of wood chunks, etc). This works for simply trying a new wood which you wonder if it's any good for smoking or for trying one you think might taste like _____ and want to see if it really does. The side by side comparison to, say, apple or hickory (whatever other wood you have and are familiar with) is what will tell you first of all how maple tastes by comparison, and if there's any actual hint of bourbon.

Comment

I have a customer that owns Barrel unlimited he gave me a whole bunch of whiskey barrel staves and you can smell the whiskey smoke coming off the cooker and I can taste it on the meat. I cut the staves with my chop saw and you can see where the whiskey has soaked in to the wood. The staves are a inch thick and charred and soaked for years. I know nothing of the whiskey Brick but if it hasn’t soaked for a supper long time then I think it’s just a wood brick🤓

Comment

I vote for Huskee's test.

Comment

So according to their website, these are the finishing woods they use in their bourbon. They use vacuum and pressure to get the bourbon in and out of the wood.

By the way, take one sniff of the container, and you'll swear the vapors will get you drunk. It is some potent stuff!

I will try Huskee experiment at some point and report back.

Comment

• Fire Art
              Fire Art commented
              Editing a comment
              Always good to see for oneself as my dad use to say “there’s a Ass for every Saddel

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here