Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one...

I had to go to a meeting at a job site that is a former walnut orchard. I saw a big pile of wood so naturally I had to inquire once all business was dealt with. The guy told me it was all walnut and I could take as much as I wanted. Does this look like walnut to you guys? I have no reason to doubt him I just want to be sure before I start using it as such. There were quite a few oaks around the perimeter as well so I'm not sure if maybe it could have been mixed it too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	582571Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1260.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	582572Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	582573

When in doubt try it on a cheap chicken leg or thigh cook, and use only salt. Then you can really taste the smoke to know if it's good. If it's not you're only out a couple bucks worth of meat and not an expensive hunk of something. If you have a couple of the same cookers, do the same on both but in one use a known favorite wood to get a good side by side judgement of the new wood.

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea, he said it was just cut down a few weeks ago so it's got a few months to season first but I'll give it a shot.

Name:	Wood.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	582599
    The wood on the left is freshly cut oak. The wood on the right is freshly cut walnut. When a walnut branch falls it has been dead and does not make really good wood for smoking. When it is from an orchard it can be good. Close to almond in taste. Its bark can be really smokey.

Comment

It’s not walnut

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        + 1

Name:	026C5488-81D1-4B17-BB04-47C46E4672F8.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	582609

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be making live edge cutting boards and serving trays with that beautiful piece of wood.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Bingo!

• Mudbeaver
        Mudbeaver commented
        Editing a comment
        Frozen Smoke my friend works for our local municipal, they took down a 38” black walnut with 20’ of straight wood..... he got to keep it

Well it is not American or Black walnut as Mudbeaver pictured. It very well could be English walnut (thin pale shelled nuts) which type of nut do they grow?

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        That I don't know. I'll try to do some research to find out who owned the property before. The guy that gave me permission was the land development project manager so he probably doesn't know.

I think I got mostly live oak. Which is a good find anyway! Maybe some olive?

It was a black walnut orchard but kind of interesting I found a list of trees for relocation from the job site.

I'll try to get back there this week to search for the tell tale signs of walnut! (dark core)

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Most walnut in Nor Cal is grafted. Black walnut is the base and English Walnut is the top. Black Walnut has a better root system and English Walnut has a better nut with less tannin. They are a cleaner, bigger walnut. Thank my wife, the Ag/Animal Science for that info. She is wonderfully informative but won't let me indulge my MCS to it's potential.

tbob4 great info! I’ll have to see if I can find any. I’ve heard walnut has a great flavor to its smoke.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        The photo of the Walnut I posted is a black walnut base with and English walnut top. So you are seeing the English Walnut and it looks very close to some of your cuts. The one piece with the white underbelly is the only thing that puzzled me.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here