Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood: Can it be too old/dry to impart good flavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood: Can it be too old/dry to impart good flavor?

Some of the wood I got is Live Oak, it is prevalent in my area. I was wondering if it can get too old or too dry to impart good flavor? I know oak has a mild smoke profile, and on a KBQ that would be even milder.

Thoughts?

Stay away from kiln dried stuff that is sold in big box stores. Everything else should be fine.

if in doubt, get a moisture meter, split a log and check it. Around 20% or a little less is best.

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to mention that I do have a moisture meter.

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Is the kiln dried stuff too dry? If so wonder if soaking those wood chips that are kiln dried is a good idea

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      In my opinion, yes, it is way too dry.

Oak is in the stronger end of the smoke catigory. I use red oak mainly. Yes, it can become TOO seasoned.

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you think it could be re-moistened by submerging in water and letting it dry a day or so before using?

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      lostclusters see my comment further down.

If it's lightweight (over-seasoned) it will burn up quickly and not give much good smoke, but there's no harm in using it you just need a lot more. I believe a good moisture content to be 15-25%. But I'll burn semi-green wood too if I have to. Moisture meters are cheap, if you don't happen to have one you can get your hands on one for $15-30 most places.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      For the KBQ, I think you want 20-35%, according to Bill K. KBQ

My oak is about 6.5%, so it's too dry I'm assuming.

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I am trying an experiment. I took that piece of 6.5 % oak, which is cut for use, and immersed it in water. After two days I'll dry it for two days. Then I'll cut it in half and take another moisture reading.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't believe two days would be nearly enough time to absorb the water. I'd split that stuff on down into kindling and then pick up some fresher wood that is so prevalent in your area.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      boats are made of wood becauseit resists the water. It would take a HUGE amount of time. On the flipside, you have some great firewood!

I found post #5 on Smoking Meat Forums to be useful in addition to the input here:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/th.../#post-1388865

Comment

When it gets really dried out, try to get some greener wood and mix the two. It will blend pretty good as long as you keep a consistent ratio.

Comment

And this was was helpful as well:

Comment

My Pit manufacture Bill Karau recommends the following:

What is the right kind of wood?

The best species are dense hardwoods such as oaks, hickory, and mesquite. Avoid kiln-dried and freshly-cut wood; split and air-dried for 3-12 months is ideal, having a moisture content of 20-30%.

Comment

So, an update, after 2 days (1 1/2 days soaking, dried over night). A 3" diameter x 7" piece of live oak split in half and that piece cut in half:

Top/rounded part - 17% - 22% depending on location tested
            Bottom/flat part - 33%
            1/2" from bottom of cut part - 9.6%
            1" from bottom of cut part - 12.3%
            1/2" from top - 18.1%

Relative humidity of the air - 54% at night, 11% at the warmest part of the day. We are having what is called a Santa Anna weather condition where the prevalent winds are coming from the east where the deserts are, instead of the west from over the ocean. From July to just last week to relative humidity had been 60% - 70%.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181019_113722.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.72 MB ID:	581268
            Last edited by lostclusters; October 19, 2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

If there is anyone still interested in this experiment, here is a consolidation of information and an update:

Started soaking 7" x 1 1/2" pieces of 6.5% moisture content oak wood at noonish 17 Oct,
              Checked 19 Oct at center of cut piece (1" from either side), moisture content was 12.3 %
              Checked 20 Oct at center of cut piece, moisture content was 13%

It is too soon to draw a conclusion as to how long it will take to get my oak to about 20% but it looks like texastweeter is correct in that it will take a while, at least until the end of next week. When I get it where I want it I plan on storing it a large plastic bin in the hopes it will maintain it's moisture level longer. I will need to keep an eye on that bin to ensure the wood does not mold. I plan on putting a temperature/humidity sensor in it to help with this.

This all came about came about because I could not seem to get a good smoke flavor on my finished product, except for once, no matter what I did or what wood I used. Unusual considering my primary smoker is a KBQ. I do not think a water pan, placed in my smoker, would have helped any because I do not think that would change the flavor of the smoke. Someone might think I should just get some fresher wood. Well I have a bit of it like this and no other way to use it. And because this area I live in is basically a desert, I need to learn how to deal with this issue or hang up my smoker. And quitting BBQ is not going to happen.

I am curious how other folks that live in arid climates deal with overly dry wood.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                the water pan may actually help a lot, as smoke particulates adhere to food beter in a more humid enviornment. Since the KBQ is a reverse draw smoker, all the smoke in the cooking chamber is super dry.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter That's probably why Bill K KBQ recommends 25-30%.

For the benefit of those still interested, I dried and cut open another piece today similar in size to the others. The results: on the cut section it measured 19% - off the scale (tops out at 50%). So I'd say that after a couple 2 -3 days drying time it should be ready to use in my KBQ. I am going to check a couple more pieces tomorrow after they dry. Soak time was 17th - 24th, 7 days - not too bad. I may give it a whirl this weekend, but it will be more likely I will wait until next weekend as this weekend is supposed to be on the warm side here.
              Last edited by lostclusters; October 25, 2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm enjoyin followin yer scientific journey, Brother, an lookin forward to th next installment!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here