Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiskey barrel Stays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiskey barrel Stays

A client of mine owns. Barrels Unlimited gave me some whiskey barrels stays
    Attached Files

Looks like they might make some good football bats

Comment

I got a plastic storage container full of Jack Daniels stays cut up. I use them for smoke with beef.

Comment

Nice! I've used whiskey staves before, they burn like wood and taste like smoke. Good stuff but I can't tell any difference between them and non-whiskey barrel stave oak.

Comment

Mix up a large batch of Manhattans and put a stave in them and let sit for a few days/weeks! Makes a fantastic cocktail.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Wise guy! ;-)

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll take one along with a side of some of those poppers.....

Besides the amazing aroma they produce while burning, their best characteristic is that they are really high quality white oak. At least the ones used for bourbon barrels. Also, the dimensions of the staves make them super easy to cut into uniformly sized chunks. I have a neighbor who uses a lot of bourbon barrels for woodworking projects, and gives me the scraps, so I use this stuff a lot.

Comment

Trader Joe's used to carry JD staves and charcoal briquettes here a few years back, and I miss those OH SO MUCH! Maybe the taste I loved was psychosomatic, but I can live with that!

Comment

A friend of mine owns a whiskey/rum barrel manufacturing plant. I get all the oak scraps I want from that plant. I love using them. They work great in the KBQ and the Kamados.

Comment

Here in Midlands SC, there is Blackwater Barrel plant in Bamberg, SC that also sells white oak scraps from the barrel-making process. I've brought a load from them for cheap and they are excellent in the KBQ. Agree with Spinaker , they give good heat and flavor. If any of you live nearby, check them out
                The OmegaDog

Comment

I thought the title was a statement after a long argument with your better half.

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Finally someone else talking my language here...

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fire Art never heard of either one.

• Fire Art
                    Fire Art commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jerod Broussard you must be from the other side of the River

Cut them into toothpicks and you will have enough for a looong time. JK of course.

Comment

I bought and used some once. They were half that thickness and guarantied to be cut from either Jack Daniels or Jim Beam whiskey barrels. I could taste the difference even on a charcoal smoker. They impart a whiskey taste, IMHO.

Comment

I had some wine barrel staves once that produced the most amazing smoke on some ribeyes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here