Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to figure out what wod I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to figure out what wod I have

I inadvertently lost the labels to my my smoking wood and now am in a quandary how to tell the difference. I have at least six different woods for smoking. I can tell some such as mesquite but others are difficult such as oak, pear, avocado, apple, cherry, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would think some here could help with some pictures.

Comment

Maybe a burn and sniff test.

Comment

Post pics, I bet as a group we can figure it out!

Comment

Yes, pics please. I have a few of those I can try my best to match up what I think a couple are. W/o pics all we can do is suggest you sniff them as they burn....but that will be still be a guess. Cherry smells unique, but pear and apple are similar. Oak you could probably separate from the others too, very mild and plain, not very incense-like. Fruit wood, especially cherry and peach, are very aromatic. Apple and pear less so, but more than oak. Hope this helps.

Comment

I agree! Pics will help greatly. Especially pics with bark. Tell tell signs...

Comment

Ya can always try the lick test.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	561591
                Walnut Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	561592Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1472.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	561593Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	561594Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	561595
                In order from Chico - Black Walnut, apricot, almond, cherry, foothill oak. I have some madrone/manzanita as well but it is really hot burning wood that I use in the fireplace, not the BBQ.

Comment

I have a KBQ and got mixed up with all my wood orders. So I dumped them all in one big box. I figure it will all work out...

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It will! Though I have to admit I have the hickory and white oak in separate piles. And then there's the stuff I bought from Huskee.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How's that working out EdF?

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good stuff, Huskee !

Thanks all for the information. I will try the smoke test first and then try to make a reasonable identification. Most of the chunks don't have any bark as it falls off when I chunk them up.

Comment

the best way is to look at the cross section, the surface that would be perpendicular to the rings (called the tangential surface in forest products field). It can be done, I had to do it in school, not my best subject by the way. But, apple and pear are going to look extremely similar, almost indistinguishable. Oak is a dead give away as it has little white dots, very small, but visible with magnifying aid. The trick is knowing red oaks from white oaks. Cherry (Prunus serotina) lends a slight reddish color, should stand out to the others. Avacado is outside the SE, so I've got nothing on that one. Some things that helps is ensure the cut surface is smooth and you can slightly wet it to help the details stand out.
                    Last edited by au4stree; September 6, 2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here