Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billowing white smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Billowing white smoke

so as you see in my pic, I have an okj longhorn smoker, I have a heck of a time avoiding the terror of white smoke. I have gone as far as pre burning my chunks in a chimney prior to adding them, but the second I close the firebox, poof there’s more smoke, I’m wondering if anyone else has this problem, I’ve tried putting the wood on/ in the firebox, letting it pre heat as well I’ll let it get all black and even white sometimes in the firebox, then I’ve lost a lot of heat/ cook time. Any tips ideas would be appreciated.

HeeHee! It's jus natural, burnin sticks; white smoke is normal, early on, no terror necessary...Terror is generally reserved fer when ya have evil Black Smoke!

I put stuff on, alla th time, with white smoke, close th lid, an walk away.

Jus let th smoke sort itself out, some, then put on yer proteins, assumin yer burnin seasoned wood...

What wood(s) are ya burnin? That might make a difference, as well...

Please, give us more details, an we'll git ya all sorted out, in no time at all.

I regularly run my OKJ, an a Horizon 20" Classic, might could offer some help.

There's lotsa other Stickburners here, as well.

Never be afraid to ask for help, or advice, brother!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 31, 2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
      Mudbeaver commented
      Editing a comment
      AlwAys seasoned, usually cherry, maple, apple or hickory, sometimes I cut it myself other times I buy the bag

Can’t help with the stick burning stuff ... but you might give these a try until an even more legitimate answer comes along:

Click image for larger version  Name:	A569FE9A-508D-46A5-8122-BADA79E9FAB5.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	37.5 KB ID:	558776
    Last edited by MBMorgan; August 31, 2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones - Yours was ... but mine sure as heck wasn’t, my friend ... ...

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, I liked yers, needs me some rose-coloured glasses; my last pair, Life done broked em!
      We all good, Brother, I Suhwanee!!!!
      Fixin to go take a 'Virtual Vacation' to CO, here in a few, then beddy-bye!
      P.S: Saw a Pitts vid ya'd probly like, I'll put it up, soon!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 31, 2018, 09:51 PM.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      BBQRapper
      When I see' Pink Smoke', I jus blame it on flashbacks, an Smoke On...
      No Big Deal!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 1, 2018, 08:17 AM.

How long is the smoke white? How does the food turn out? Mr. Bones' questions are spot on. I used to really worry about the color of the smoke and then realized that all sorts of factors go into it's color. The type of wood, the age of the wood, the oxygen supply, the environment, the heat of the fire etc. I typically find that when my fire gets a little too hot and I close my vents, the result is more color in my smoke for a time. It doesn't have an adverse effect on the taste of the food. If I burn oak or madrone my smoke is more translucent from start to finish. If I burn almond, peach or cherry it has more color. If I use a water pan, my smoke is thicker, giving it more color. If I don't add moisture, the same wood smokes clearer through the vents.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
      Mudbeaver commented
      Editing a comment
      Usually 10-15 minutes, each time I add wood, I use charcoal as my main source of heat, I can usually taste a hint of the woody tasted, assumed from the white smoke. I’ve just about gotten rid of it, no one else seems to notice it, I’ve asked, but I do

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Long as yer not seein no funky, creoste lookin black, why, I'd jus let her roll.
      Have ya done some all wood cooks, an prefer charcoal n chunks to that?
      I'm curious...
      I know dang well they have trees in NY State, cause I googled it!

• dmcneil
      dmcneil commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I just put on my brisket for the kids' visit tomorrow and thought I'd stop by and read "Today's Posts". You are killing me. Sitting alone in my living room laughing. You are a giver and a very funny neighbor. Thanks.

Make sure it’s getting a lot of air - in and out of the firebox and cooker. Too much smoke is often the result of incomplete combustion. You wanna see flames from the wood, not just smoke.

I leave the firebox door wide open on my stick burner so the wood has all the air it needs. Lots of smoke when you first put a new log on is totally normal. As long as you see flames the thick smoke will subside and give you beautiful (delicious) this smoke.

Comment

Yea I have noticed leaving the door open helps, but worry about losing heat. I’m doing a couple chucks today so I’ll take heed to the advice from ya fellas, I mean it’s always a hit, but just trying to improve. No @ Mr. Bones I have yet to do a all wood cook in my okj, and yes I sure do have plenty of trees! 60 acres worth! I have an apple fell out back 2 years ago. Gonna cut her up here soon maybe I’ll do an all apple cook

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Good deal!
        Please , report back with yer results, now tha it's had time to age, proper, like...

Sounds like a ventilation problem. The fire needs more air. However wood will have a lot to do with it. The general contractor who is doing our home remodel brought me a truck load of cut and split oak. I get a lot more smoke from his oak than I do mine. Can't quite figure out why. It's certainly not wet the ends are all grey in color so if anything it's prbably on the dry side. It burns great and the food is fantastic as always but it just blows more smoke.

I wouldn't worry over it as long as the food is coming out fine. Don't over analyze it it's part of stick burnin'!
      The smoke in my avatar is more than what I normally run. Usually it's just the heat signature out of the smoke stack is all I get.

Comment

New pope?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, Brother!

"Habemus Papam!"

• Mudbeaver
          Mudbeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          ??

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Mudbeaver - Old Catholic thing; they signal whether they've elected a new pope with smoke. Black for no; white for yes.

I run my stack wide open always and control temp with the vent on the firebox, I have removed all the gaskets I installed on the firebox for more air.

Comment

Could very well be from in my head.... from my early days of smoking, close vents pound the smoke to it,

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here