Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bark or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bark or not?

I’ve got several oak and pecan limbs that fell during a storm. They are 2-4 in dia. If I cut them up to use in my KJ as smoke chunks will the bark give the meat a bad flavor? I know curiosity is bad for cats, but it hasn’t hurt me yet. I just don’t want to mess up a cook because I didn’t ask.

I would let season till bark falls off

Comment

There's a lot of "bark is bad for smoking, remove all bark" nonsense, IMO, out there. I remove bark if it's loose or spongy or otherwise bad & non-appealing. If it's dry and fully attached I leave all bark on. I have done side by side cooks with both barked & de-barked wood and there is zero difference as far as I can taste. There's too much going on in the big picture for hickory, oak, pecan, cherry, etc bark to matter to the taste.

Comment

I've never found bark to be a problem myself.

Comment

If I'm burning splits, I don't worry about bark at all. With chunks, I will try to remove it the best I can, just because I feel like I need a higher percentage of actual wood in there. This is thick oak bark from the trunk we're talking about though, not the thin stuff on the limbs. I think you're good to go. Smoke on!
          Last edited by Steve R.; August 23, 2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Season it for at least 6 months and you should be good to go.

Comment

What's interesting is I've asked, researched and have never gotten a straight answer as to whether or not bark is beneficial, harmful or even neutral to burning. In another life I earned a degree in biology and during botany courses we studied the make up of plants and the bark itself contains what's known as the cambium layer. Containing a blend of various compounds, it acts as a protection like our own skin, resisting rot and insects. It's said there is flavor in the cambium in the form of metabolites. That being the case there are some who theorize that the full flavor from any species of wood may be found in this layer or the bark.

Like several of us have stated, I've burned wood with or without and found virtually no difference. Some claim to pick up a bitter taste (perhaps because of the creosote content which is present in the wood as well), but I have never experienced that. I say let the wood age, 6 months to a year (or longer) and burn the stuff. It's certainly not going to kill you.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s what I’m saying. 👊

The only time bark bothers me is when the noise keeps me awake at night.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you live near me?
                It sounds like you’re listening to my wife.
                Douh. 😂😁😎

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment

I have found that stuff like old grease and oil that is "smoldering" has had way more effect (negative that is) on the flavor than bark on chunks or sticks. I kind of have a sensitive nose to those things and when I burn bark, since it is such a small part of the actual wood chunks I use, there is really nose difference.

Comment

If you are planning on burning it soon then remove the bark. No difference in taste to me, but the wood will dry a lot quicker which would have more effect on taste.

Comment

So what you are saying is....You want to know if the Bark is worse than the Bite?! Sorry, couldn't resist, LOL!

Comment

I'm telling myself that I can taste the difference a bit, and that I LIKE a little bark on mesquite. I've never noticed a taste difference with the hickory I use, and I'd say that is 5% bark too. I've read the remarks about bark causing a hint of bitterness and never experienced that.

Comment

Some say yes and some say no. I leave it on.

Comment

From my experience I can tell you this: I use scrub oak because it is naturally prevalent, scrub oak has a very thick bark, when it burns in my KBQ it will clog the holes in my firebox underneath the coals and I have to poke it out or the KBQ will not keep temperature as it should, after a couple time of using the bark I noticed a sharp acidic like taste that was not palatable, not absolutely sure this was coming from the bark as I was not able to use it without bark yet.

I am not sure if this applies to any other wood. I watch BBQ shows with pit masters using wood for cooking and it always has the bark on.

Comment

I use oak and hickory mixed....some have bark, some don't. My key is when I start my fire, I open both doors, both chimneys and all my vents till I get a good coal going. I have never had bad smoke so you decide.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here