Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Red Oak Qwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Red Oak Qwood

Cut up a fallen red oak into 8" blocks and split into 8s or more on some of the larger chunks. Trailer is 49" and holds 6rows. My ancient Oklahoma Joe stickburner is relatively small so the small pieces make it easier to maintain a small, clean, hot fire and control temps. Took a chop saw to the limbs and made 1/2" thick disks that I use in my Weber performer for a little smoke.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3387.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	538472
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3386.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	538473

Nice Score! I love red oak!

Comment

Pretty nice stash there! I like using the red oak I cut on my property, whether it's in the smoker or the fire pit. I still have about a face cord of what I cut a couple of years ago, and 3 more trees that will need to come down before too long.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Like your industriousness!

Comment

Awesome. If you lived closer I would say run that trailer by so I can help myself to some, forget that, all of it.
            Red oak is the best.

Comment

Congrats on the nice supply. Oak is one of my faves as well.

Comment

I use TONS of red oak. about 2 parts red oak, 1part mesquite on beef. Have a shop FULL of it (I mean FULL). Fantastic score.

Comment

Sure ya got red oak there? That bark in the second pic does not look like red oak. Red oak trees have a very coarse bark yours look to be smooth. Pin oak maybe? I Either way that's a nice trailer load of smokin' wood goodness! I get red and white oak here all the time because that is the predominant wood in these parts. Both have a very coarse bark.

Comment

Wonderful score, amigo! It even looks summat seasoned, least from here..!

Say that there is an "older" OKJ!
                    I'd love to see a few pics, sometime, when ya have time...
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 26, 2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozen Smoke View Post
                      Sure ya got red oak there? That bark in the second pic does not look like red oak. Red oak trees have a very coarse bark yours look to be smooth. Pin oak maybe? I Either way that's a nice trailer load of smokin' wood goodness! I get red and white oak here all the time because that is the predominant wood in these parts. Both have a very coarse bark.
                      Ya know, it was a strange tree. The leaves said red oak but the bark on the limbs was smooth while the main trunk was fairly rough. I have pin oak, white oak and post oak in the neighborhood and this tree and leaves look like a cross breed oak. I called it red oak because that's what it most resembled. Good catch on your part!!!

OBTW, there is some pin oak in the little black barrels.

Edit: Ok, after doing some research, looks like you are correct. What we all called a pin oak here in my neck of the woods is actually a water oak of some type and good old Google search and photos identifies what I have as a pin oak. Been in these woods 60+ years and been wrong that long too. Never to old to learn something new.
                      Last edited by Cmack; July 26, 2018, 10:00 PM. Reason: Cuz it appears I was wrong

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                        Frozen Smoke commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Always nice to know you're never to old to learn something new. I do all the time. It just caught my eye, I've burned cords and cords of red and white oak and I've never seen bark like that except on a pin oak. Still a nice load of oak I wouldn't mind havin'!

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
                      Wonderful score, amigo! It even looks summat seasoned, least from here..!

Say that there is an "older" OKJ!
                      I'd love to see a few pics, sometime, when ya have time...
                      I'll try to get some tomorrow. My OKJ is 20+ years old. Been a struggle since day one to control temps but over the years I've managed to turn out some pretty good Q with it. Ain't gonna lie, I've messed up some too.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Haven't we all!

Invest in a nice build smooth running patio pit from Lone Starz or somewhere you will be amazed at how easy fire management can be. I struggled with temp control for years on a old Brinkmann back in my early days but somehow made it work. Stepped up to a better running patio pit and was amazed at how easy it became.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here