Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Log Station - Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log Station - Suggestions?

So, someone stole my splitting axe (may their beers forever be shaken, and their zippers forever stuck) and as I'm fittin to replace it, I'm thinking it's probably time I think about my whole operation. The logs I get are usually halves and quarters, and what I've been doing for the most part is splitting them with the axe, then cutting those splits in half with a saw.

A little while ago a replaced the saw with a reciprocating saw, and was looking at replacing the splitting axe with a "small" manual hydraulic splitter...

What kind of set up do you folk use? Any suggestions? This is one area where I think I could really improve my process.

Thanks!

A lot of us like the Kindling Cracker for getting the splits down to a smaller size. Makes quick, easy and safe work of it. Check the Northern Tool website.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually just bought a 12' sliding miter saw from Home Depot primarily for cutting my splits in half.

A Ryobi. I believe it was about $250

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I also picked up the Kindling Cracker. Works great & seems safe as long as I keep my eyes open LOL,

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      There is probably a way to hurt yourself or tear something up when using this, but I haven't discovered it yet.

Great! Thanks fellas. Checking those out as soon as I get back to the office

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I have both sizes of crackers, use them to downsize bigger stuff, prior to processin fer my smaller cookers. Big hammer required, fer splittin down 4x4x16~ hickory, etc., like I buy...
      I smoke through avg. 3-4 cords hickory in a year's time, less of others, but good tools have made it a lot easier.
      Hope this helps, brother!

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, definitely helpful! Also, I am totally with you there. Sawzall gets the job done but I am not a fan. I just looked up chop saws... That looks like a much better option! No space for an actual workstation, bu I could get one of those temporary tables I see contractors using...

Also, my Kindling Cracker XL just got delivered yesterday.. We're gettin there!

Update: Miter Saw on the way!
      Last edited by ClayJones; August 2, 2018, 01:59 PM.

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      Got my Kindling Cracker and my little miter saw into the game this weekend. Fan-friggin-tastic. This is SO much better. Thanks again for the suggestions! Now I need a shed or something to keep all this stuff in... (And then I'll need more stuff to fill up the shed. And then... And then...)

I built a miniature saw buck and I use my electric chainsaw to cut the logs in half.

Comment

• Scout789
      Scout789 commented
      Editing a comment
      My electric chain saw doubles as a pole saw. I think it is only a 10 inch model, but it works well for cutting firewood logs in two. I can post a pic of my sawbuck if anyone is interested. It sits on an outdoor workbench.

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd like to see some pictures Scout. My family isn't the handiest bunch, so all of these power tools and woodworking skills are brand new to me. (Not counting shop class in 6th grade) I gotta say though, I am starting to enjoy it... Could it be my new hobby has introduced me to a second hobby??

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      A chop saw blade is much more expensive as a chainsaw is

Here you go ClayJones. The cross legs are 24" long and the width is 15". My woodworking skills are pretty rudimentary. Mostly square angles and straight pieces. I'm sure most on here are many times more skilled than me. Click image for larger version

Name:	Sawbuck 2018-01.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	541944Click image for larger version

Name:	Sawbuck 2018-02.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	541945

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't berate yourself! I saw that as a park sculpture in the Netherlands.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I like it. Robust, simple, get's the job done. Mission accomplished.

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing. I echo Henrik's comments. Functionality is king. Nice work! I'd be showing that off to everyone I know lol

Ain't nothing wrong with that nice job

Comment

Don't get one of these. They split a lot more than you think they would but you really got to keep your eyes on it as splits will come flying out in any direction at any time. Problem is it takes two hand to operate so if something comes flying at your face you will never get one of your hands off the controls and up to your face to block it fast enough.

Had one come flying off and bounced hard off my shoulder the other day. Last time I will use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	splitter.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	542461

I buy red oak and it's quarter splits when I get it. I have a large hydraulic splitter I can use but often times I just use my monster maul to split it down a bit further if I need to. I've had that maul for about 35 years. Cant beat it. You don't have to swing it much the weight does all the work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maul.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	542462

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here