Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepperwood for smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepperwood for smoking?

A nearby cabin cut down a pepperwood tree (Umbellularia californica) anyone know if it's any good for smoking meat?

I really enjoy the smell of a pepperwood grove, but iIntuitively I'd say no. They are bay trees, but, assuming you're in NorCal, their leaves are bitter compared to the bay leaves we commonly use for cooking. It smells nice when burning, but so does juniper and I wouldn't use that for smoking. There's one way to find out
    Last edited by CaptainMike; July 22, 2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

CaptainMike if they are bay trees, I use smaller pieces of bay tree to smoke seafood such as shrimp and lobster. You said they are bitter though. Is that due to the climate/soil, or is it a different subspecies?

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably all of the above. The coastal CA trees leaves are definitely more "oily", even dried. I have never cooked or smoked food with the wood.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        do it, you wont regret it. quick smoke shrimp or lobster. To just try it, add a thin layer of water to the bottom of a pot, then drop in a handful of bay leaves, and let sit a bit to hydrate but the oils stay in the pot. then add a veggietable steamer and fill full of peeled shrimp that have been salt and peppered. add to the grill on high and let the water boil out and smoke. CaptainMike

If you have two similar cookers you could try my method of testing a wood. Buy a cheap pack of chicken legs or thighs. Only salt them, NO other spices, no rub, no sauce. Cook them the exact same way (time/temp, amount of coals, etc) on the two cookers side by side. In one put the test wood, in the other put a favorite wood. Then when they're done taste the two side by side. If the new wood is trash, you're out a buck's worth of meat and some charcoal. But you gained knowledge!

If it's good, you could do a blind side by side on family members. My family all picked honey locust as tasting better than apple when I did this test recently.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea. I'll give it a shot next year when this wood I'd ready.

I have a bunch more to pick up and split still. It'll mostly be for firewood.

Cook for the neighbors that always want but never reimburse. If it is bad, problem solved. If good, still at square one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here