Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full chord pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full chord pricing

Looking to pick up some wood and was wondering what is the normal price people see for a full chord of wood. Found someone offering seasoned oak for $125 a face chord (which I guess is 1/3 of a full chord) and wondering if that's a good price or not. So any insight from others would be greatly appreciated.

Wood pricing is dependent on location. I am fortunate that I have a firewood business about 7 miles from me. I take my trailer which is 8X6 and they load it up for $90 that's 2 front loader bucket fulls of red oak which is seasoned about 4 to 6 months. It's been dead standing oak so it has just the right amount of moisture in it for smoking and burns nicely.

$125 for a face cord would be considered expensive in this neck of the woods. Is that delivered?

Comment

• RipSUp
      RipSUp commented
      Editing a comment
      This is delivered (doesn't let you pick up) but only a few miles from my place.
      Last edited by RipSUp; July 18, 2018, 01:59 PM.

I would imagine firewood pricing is regional. What may be highway robbery in one part of the country is a bargain in another. For example, I would have to travel 300 miles to even find oak. Here are some hints:

1. Check Craigslist to see what is being offered. Search for 'firewood' or the specific species you are looking for. Be prepared, searching for 'oak' will bring lots of furniture hits.

2. Call local tree companies and see if they have any available.

3. Put an ad on Craigslist seeking wood for smoking, some people will just give it to you.

4. For fruitwood, check out any orchards in your area.

Comment

• RipSUp
      RipSUp commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I found this on craigslist while searching something else and was trying to gauge where he was at price wise in general. I'm going to keep looking to see what others in the area are doing but was also looking for a general idea of what was pricing for others.

150 to 200 for a full cord in ohio cherry will run more but not alot

Comment

I get a full face cord for $125 also. It's a mix of red and white oak and some cherry. So depending on where you live it's a fair price. Also a face cord is 1/2 of a full cord.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        I have had guys bring me 24 inch pieces before when I burned it for heat, need a big stove to burn that

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        customtrim I also usually cut my 16” splits in half when using my stick burner. Keeps a smaller more intense fire.

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B yeah I have to cut mine in half to make it fit.

As everyone said, it's where you live! ComfortablyNumb 's advice is right on target.

Comment

Just realized I hadn't put my location, I'm in NW Indiana in case someone has some sources up here.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Da Region!

I think that is high and you can do better. Another thing guys will do is tell you if is seasoned when it has only been cut for a month if that so I would double check on that.are you sure you need a full core maybe find someone selling small quantities and give them a try, if you like it they may give you a break on larger loads.

Comment

I paid $100 for a half cord of oak and hickory (delivered) here in north Alabama last fall, and bought the wood from a tree service - they have to take the trees they cut down for people somewhere, and it turns out, in this case, its a couple of acre "seasoning" lot where they cut and split the wood and sort it out by type, and let it season before selling as firewood. Check with local tree services, as many will in fact double as firewood services.

Comment

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, 1/4 cord of hickory here is $340. Oak and almond are the cheapest around here and even those are $125 for 1/4 cord. California sucks haha

I got to know my tree guy when he was doing some work for the next door neighbors last year. He piled up several cherry trunks at the edge of my lot, free for the asking, and also told me to come to his place and take all the hickory I wanted. He sells firewood as one of his side jobs but was too busy to mess with it. He supposedly has a pecan tree he cut, but I haven't made it over there yet.
          Last edited by Steve R.; July 18, 2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Through Craigslist, I met a fellow this afternoon that is working at a tree trimming business.
            Nice guy and literally has tons of Mesquite.
            His storage yard about 10 miles North of my place looks like the "Mother-Load" for JL Smokehouse as well as for my needs.
            -
            He will be keeping me in smoking wood for $160 per full cord of rounds tightly stacked at 4 foot x 4 foot x 8 foot.
            -
            In Austin, Texas, it's Post Oak and Mesquite.
            Here in the Phoenix area, Mesquite and Pecan is plentiful.
            A ways North of here, White Oak is plentiful.
            -
            Would LUV to have a good source for Hickory, but that isn't native to the desert.
            -
            HERE is a Link to some firewood information you might want to browse thru.

Comment

Please Note:

If cut 16" a face cord=1/3 cord. if cut 24" =1/2 cord.
              Reference 1
              Reference 2
              Here it's ~ $180 ~-ish a cord, fer seasoned split hickory, some want a little additional to deliver/stack.
              Oak is slightly cheaper, mixed firewood is ~ $150...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 19, 2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here