Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood infestation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood infestation

I opened a bag of mesquite to cut for my KBQ and a couple burrowing bugs flew out. Is this wood still safe to use?

Click image for larger version

Name:	003043FE-1BFF-4EDC-91C9-5C4B5820856B.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	532517

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Comment

The dirty little buggers probably what killed the tree

Comment

That’s all the peace of mind I need. Flame on boys!

Comment

Fire it up. No worries.

Comment

We all probably burn up more bugs on a regular basis than we realize. Just make sure the bugs are well seasoned so you get good quality smoke.

Comment

It’ll just be a more complex flavor right? Lol

Comment

I'm with Steve R. I might would dry brine them first.

Comment

Do not store it in the house/garage/shed. They are looking for a new home and it would suck if they chose your kitchen cabinets. I have seen it.

Comment

• JakeT
                    JakeT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think at some point in my life I’ve heard to never store wood against your house. With that in mind I stacked all the wood I recently bought against the fence.

Replacing smoking wood is cheap, wood framing in a home is not lol

Hey ya know, bugs have feelings to.

Comment

A few years back lower Michigan had a major infestation of the ash borer beetle. Killed numerous trees in my subdivision alone, including 2 on my property. I wish I had a stick burner back then (now, too for that matter). I would have taken great joy in burning the little parasites along with the wood.

Comment

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a stack of ash wood that I use for the firepit. I know exactly what you're saying. In my case, I feel like I'm doing the ash trees a bit of a favor while also relaxing by the fire. EAB's and termites really hate me.

bugs are protien. carbon. fuel for the fire. Fire is purifying ans sterilizing. You're cool.

Comment

It's really hard to spatchcock those buggers.

Comment

• JakeT
                        JakeT commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Scalpel and magnifying glass required!

Do I need a special breed of bug or a specific size bug for my KBQ?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If it fits into yer fuel chute, ya should be good to go.

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm with Mr. Bones - it's a versatile piece of equipment!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here