Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what kind of wood this is ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what kind of wood this is ?

Hey what’s up everybody going to buy some wood off Craigslist and the guy says it’s cherry , apple , peach, mulberry. I asked him if he knew which one is what but he doesn’t know . So I was wondering is someone here can help me . Don’t want to buy this wood and smoke some meat then the meat turns out horrible and I find out it’s a soft wood or some thing .

Attached Files

Doesn’t look great from here, if you are not sure you should pass unless it’s real cheap.

Comment

Looks like hickory from the bark. I will smoke with it.

Comment

Not sure what kind of wood that is.
        I just had a customer of mine offer me some wood from a tree his neighbor took down. He thought it was oak. I went to check it out and didn’t recognize the bark and it didn’t smell like oak. So I passed on it. Not worth the risk for me.
        So if you’re not sure. Pass it by. You could be sorry.
        Or if someone here can tell for sure what it is you might have a jackpot.

Comment

Here is another photo he took I think this is mulberry. He said his co workers said it was a mix of mulberry, apple , cherry , peach . He wants 60 bucks for the whole trailer and 100 for the first photo
          Attached Files

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            That could be mulberry. Black cherry will have a dark gray, scaly looking bark, which I don't see here at all. It all looks like hardwood, though. When in doubt, I will take a small sliver of the wood, light it, and see what kind of smoke it puts off.

Was thinking those big logs maybe black cherry

Comment

Some looks like oak in the first pic. 2 nd I see a little cherry and looks hickory. 3 looks like dried cherry a little.
            One thing I do if hickory is take an ax and split a piece. I have found if it splits hard and has "splinters" that are hard to pull off its hickory. Plus 1 on lighting it
            also another thing I do is do an internet check on what a hickory,cherry, apple bark and leaves look like and compare the bark to the pictures as I’m looking at the wood.
            I can say hickory is a very heavy wood and you can tell by the weight of a pice when comparing
            look around for leaves to compare
            and last they have an app for that. Seriously they do just search for it and some pop up. Good luck

What Tree Is That? is a tree identification guide from the Arbor Day Foundation, featuring an easy-to-use, step-by-step process to identify nearly any tree in North America.

Comment

DWCowles Nuke em Steve R. dam the guy sold it all so bummed oh well . Anyway I found another guy and he says its black cherry or he thinks . This guy is really close selling it for 20 dollers for a huge wheel barrel let me know what you think if it’s true
              Attached Files
              Last edited by king kielbasa; June 14, 2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks like black cherry to me. And it looks just green enough that it should still have a distinctive sweet smell when you cut or split it.
                Last edited by Steve R.; June 14, 2018, 01:50 PM.

Hard to say. You really need a leaf photo to identify a tree.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here