Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on wood for KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on wood for KBQ

As Spring finally takes hold here in the Northeast, I am busy putting lots of wood up for my KBQ. Bill talks about wood being 6-10" long and 2-5" in diameter.

In the past, I have split most logs more than ~3" in diameter. Besides seasoning more quickly, is they any advantage to this. Disadvantage?

What do most of you KBQ owners do?

BTW, we had a late season heavy, wet snow. Took down numerous limbs in the area. I was able to get lots of cherry, some hickory and oak the past few weeks. Nice to help cleanup friends/parks - and get some fine smokin wood to boot!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180423_154047.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	488419
    Attached Files

I like to have a variety of sizes (diameters) of wood on hand so I split a some pretty small while leaving smaller sticks, like the ones in your photo, whole. Then I can choose pieces based upon what I need to do with the fire. Smaller ones ignite faster for quicker heat while larger ones, with a smaller surface to mass ratio, will burn longer with more consistent heat.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same with my non-KBQ stickburner- multiple sizes are pretty much a necessity!

I got three trailer loads of apple from an orchard (Post 11) Most of it is small enough to not need splitting, I use a chop saw to cut to 23cm lengths. The larger ones I'll split. But when I cook I keep a variety of sizes on hand. So when I drop a stick in I can choose a stick to fill in the space next to it.

Comment

I try to have logs that are about 2 inches thick. I think those coal up really nice and give you great bed to clean the smoke. I always keep the hatchet by the smoker so I can cut the little logs to my desired thickness.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And I use the conveniently located Kindling Cracker for the same.

Various sizes are needed. The manufacturer Mr. Karu recommends Red Bull can size pieces. I find fist size pieces good.

Comment

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        If the wood you are adding is smothering the coals the wood is most likely not dry or seasoned enough. If you are losing your coal bed add more wood more often.

• kmuoio
        kmuoio commented
        Editing a comment
        lostclusters I'm smothering the coals (not losing the coal bed) but the wood I'm using is between 9 - 16% moisture content. Too green, still?

I guess the question remains (and this is for anyone) -- is 10" too long for a KBQ? Should I be aiming for shorter?
        Last edited by kmuoio; April 28, 2018, 01:44 PM.

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        If it fits in the fire box it's not too big.

Not sure how the KBQ works but with my stick burners I have all sorts of size sticks available. I actually split while I'm cooking. If I split everything when I get it it dries out too fast so I leave it all in quarter split logs and split the size as I need.
      I consider sticks to work like charcoal for a dutch oven. Each briquette adds another 5 degrees in temp. Stick size works in a similar fashion I would think.

Comment

As mentioned above, I have had difficulty maintaining the fire in my KBQ. Just today, I completed a 7 hour cook without any fire issues. I've made a point of splitting all logs to get pieces closer to the "Red Bull Can" diameter. WAY smaller that I have in the past and I believe it made all of the difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_073142.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	503049

Comment

Anytime KBQ is mentioned I get a massive flare-up of MCS

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here