Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What wood are you burning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What wood are you burning?

Just curious as to what you guys and gals are burning in your stick burners. I bought a 1/2 cord of oak right after Christmas for the fireplace, and the winter turned milder after that, and most of it is sitting about 30 feet from my smoker. I may have to cut a little of it down smaller with the chain saw, but figure I might as well start cooking with it. The guy who delivered it also told me they could supply hickory or fruit wood any time of year, so pondering getting some of that.

Hickory and Oak

Comment

Primarily oak red and white. You will like using it. Burns hot and long with a good smoke flavor. The only other wood readily available around here is maple. I don't like using it as it produces too much ash for me and burns up much quicker than oak.

If i watch Craigs list closely I can come up with some apple once in awhile. There are 2 large distributors in Mn who distribute all sorts of woods to restraunts using wood burners. They will have any kind of wood you want but stupid expensive.

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
        DoubleUpOrQuit commented
        Editing a comment
        The first time I bought wood for my stick burner I purchased from one of those MN companies. I paid the stupid expensive price because I was......well...stupid. Never again.

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t feel bad my friend I almost did the same thing back in the day. I don’t know of that many restaurants in these parts using wood fired cookers and if they are who could afford to build the wood cost into the menu prices. Wouldn’t be in business long.

Apple is my wood of choice because of an orchard nearby, I have been given permission to cut the trees that they remove from production. Also have red oak, small amount of hickory and pecan.

Comment

Mostly hickory, with occasional pecan and apple thrown in.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Back when I was was just a young pup, here in south Texas everyone cooked with mesquite. There are still a number of restaurants here that use it (Texas Mesquite and Goode Company come to mind). It's a strong wood but it burns hot and fast. Used to love it but now not so much. Love me some hickory !!!

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think I've ever cooked with, and maybe never even eaten anything, cooked over cherry wood. What's the take on cherry?

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          BourBonQ one of the pellet mixes that CandySueQ uses is half cherry half pecan I believe. She is winning KCBS contests with that mix, so it must be good.

There’s a restaurant in Red Wing MN, I’m pretty sure all they burn is oak. You should be fine.

Comment

I try to find red oak if possible. Than white oak, maple, and have used birch as well.
          I also have large chunks of cherry, pecan and apple.

Comment

I have a fairly large variety, but red oak, hickory and black cherry (and probably in that order) are easily my favorites.

Comment

Let me ask this, do I need to worry about bark on the wood I am burning, i.e. strip it off or something when cooking with it? Will that smoke differently versus wood that does not have bark still attached?

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I try to knock off the thick oak bark if I can, but I don't sweat it that much. Really, if it's very hard to remove, it probably isn't fully seasoned. BTW, the last time somebody went there, I think another member ended up getting banned. LOL!

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't, but I don't claim to be a stick-burnin' expert either. As for the original question, mostly white oak, and some fruitwoods or hickory occasionally.

• Oakgrovebacon
                Oakgrovebacon commented
                Editing a comment
                I have an aquaintence the runs a bbq restaurant and cooks with gas fired smokers that get 3-4 small logs for smoke. He claims to remove all bark. His claim is the bark adds a bitter flavor. Oak is easy to remove bark when it is seasoned and dry. Fruit wood however is vert difficult to remove bark as it is very thin and tight. So I burn it and have never had a bitter flavor.

Steve R. I've got a lot of chunks of bark on the sidewalk at the end of the house where the woodpile is, so the fact a lot of it falls off probably means its good to go.

I am thinking I may go for an all wood fire and no charcoal at all as long as I can handle feeding it for my next brisket. Based on the last time I started throwing oak in on top of charcoal my issue will be keeping the temperature down to smoking temps. I've just got to get a good bed of coals, then feed just one or two small logs at a time to the fire. A good percentage of the firewood is too big for the firebox, as some of it is more than 24" long. Plenty that is around 18" that should fit though.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Chop saw and a Kindling Cracker are a fine solution to that!

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Second the chop saw. Trying to cut short pieces with a chain saw is an accident waiting to happen. And the Kindling Cracker. It is not only safer, it actually makes splitting wood curiously fun.

White and Red Oak, Black Cherry, Sugar Maple and Ash.

Comment

Ok, I'm all good then guys! I had not thought about pulling out my miter saw - that would be easier to cut stuff in half with than the chainsaw. I don't have a kindling cracker though, but there is always the axe or the maul and sledge.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The advantage of the cracker is that adult beverages don't interfere with your safety!

Given my own temp-tending proclivities, it's a powerful argument!

Cannabis... I don't know why, but I always get so hungry when I smoke......

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BBQ and Cannabis - a gentleman's fine combination!

About 25/75 Hickory and Oak. Occasionally a little Cherry and Apple.

Comment

I mainly burn hickory, apple, and mesquite, followed by oak, pecan, peach, cherry, in order listed...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here