Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's Everything You Wanted to Know About FIREWOOD (But just didn't ask)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's Everything You Wanted to Know About FIREWOOD (But just didn't ask)

Please Post:
    Sources, suggestions, tips on firewood and links (legal ones) Here to Help our Fellow BBQ Buddies.

Thanks!
    Smoke On!
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 20, 2017, 07:50 AM.

Phoenix Area in Arizona
    My wood source comes from three different gents that I found on Craigslist.
    Aaron Franklin in his book suggested it.
    -
    MOST local Phoenix suppliers sell "Face Cords" which I consider a rip-off even though it appears to be a normal practice with the large suppliers here in Phoenix.
    A FEW (not many here in the Phoenix area) sell 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. cords or 128 cubic feet of wood.
    I buy 2 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Half cords of oak, pecan, and mesquite and pay less than what the "Big Guys" charge for less wood.
    -
    My Pecan wood comes from a fellow about 50 miles up North of Phoenix, and well worth the drive for the price and quality I get.
    Mesquite is plentiful here in this area and is a great wood in my KBQ.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 20, 2017, 08:04 AM. Reason: (Grammar Edit)

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Please go to post #3 and click on Link 3a for more info.
      The official measurement of firewood is a "cord", but that word can be used differently in some regions and it can be misused by some firewood dealers.
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 24, 2017, 01:06 PM.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      BBQ_Bill I did as you requested. It says exactly what I posted, a face cord is 1/3 of a cord. 16 inch pieces stacked four feet high and eight feet wide.
      Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; September 20, 2017, 09:52 PM.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      We call it a fireplace cord around here. However, some unscrupulous sellers will say 'cord' for fireplace cord, hoping you will think full cord.

Some Good LINKS:
    -

Histrix posted a good link at Bill Karau's web site for the KBQ smoker.
    -
    1) HERE is the link to KBQ's site info. Thanks Histrix!
    2) For another good KBQ web site page on wood, try this link HERE.
    3a) For getting what you pay for go HERE for great advice!
    3b) Another web page with good firewood information can be found HERE.
    3c) A good page with several links as well as describing firewood measurements can be found HERE and HERE. Additional Link Complements go to ComfortablyNumb
    4) Knots in your logs? Go HERE for some advice.
    5) For Grocery Store Wood, go HERE.
    6) Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) BBQ. Use wood or BBQ with no wood? HERE is a POLL for the PBC cooks/smokes.
    7) Wood Size Choice? HERE is a thread on that subject.
    8) So you cutting those logs up? HERE is a thread on Miter Saws. (I have a 12" Miter and I LUV it!)
    9) NOW, it is time to SPLIT that wood! Click HERE to check some log splitting out! (Hickory plus other wood types - most all will need splitting)
    10) An Amazing Ribs subject named: "Barbecue Wood Suppliers" by Meathead Goldwyn can be found HERE.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; April 22, 2018, 10:38 PM. Reason: Added another good link

Comment

I would suggest that someone looking for wood first try CL. Then I'd check with local tree companies. Finally I would visit local orchards. If all those come up goose eggs, and I really want to use wood, I'd start expanding my search area until I found some and bring home as much as possible to make the trip worth it.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed ComfortablyNumb.
        Local Craigslist solved my needs.
        Be aware that transporting wood from far locations can also bring in harmful insect species that can then attack local trees.
        The report I read said generally within 100 miles, the tree damaging insects are already there.

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        Many (if not all) states do have laws/prohibitions regarding bringing firewood in from other states or distant localities. Here's a site for those interested - https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/

I doubt those rules are strictly enforced but the reasons for them are valid.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Good info Histrix.
        Checking on Arizona areas now...

Firewood measurements aren't actually all that standardized and not regulated in most places. What you describe as a ripoff face cord sounds like a rick where I live, but it depends on the length the logs are cut. I agree, though, that CL is the way to go. And I can always get it free if I look hard enough and don't mind cutting and hauling it myself.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        Beefchop Around here a 'rick' is the same as a 'face cord'. Wood should be cut 16" long, stacked 4' high and 8' wide, which makes it the equivalent to 1/3 of a full cord.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        That's how it is where I live, BBQ_Bill, ComfortablyNumb. Face cord being the same as a rick: 16" length piled 4' high by 8' long. Three of these then give you a full cord.

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        However, like you mentioned Steve R. it isn't regulated. So some guy shows up in a truck, says it is a cord, rick, whatever, and after you stack it you discover it's short. Nothing you can do about it but find another guy with a pickup truck.

HI BBQ_Bill

Just an FYI. There's a huge planted forest of pecan trees on the SW side of I-10 on the route from Phoenix to Tucson. Somewhere around Eloi. Don't know if they advertise on Craigslist or not, but I'm sure a lot of wood gets pulled out of that area.

I'm lucky enough to live in Gilbert in a pecan grove that was planted in 1912. We don't get enough dead wood from our 5 trees to even keep me in firewood, but I get enough chunks to add to a Kamado Joe.

Best regards,
      Jim

Comment

Sheesh!
        Just read a page Meathead wrote and took pause while thinking about what he mentioned regarding orchard wood.
        Mr. Goldwyn states, and I quote...
        "You may be able to scrounge good wood from orchards who will let you gather dead trees, branches, prunings, etc.
        Just make sure you get clean wood, free of spray residue, mold and mildew, with a low percentage of bark.
        Beware of pesticide sprays, almost all orchards use them."

Now, I am not too sure of the Pecan wood I am getting from up North.
        I have NO idea what pesticide spray would look like on the wood.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't worry about it. Chemicals used in orchards have a short life and are not systemic. Removing the bark, if you are really concerned, should assuage your fears.

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah... very good advice!
          Thanks ComfortablyNumb!
          Mine has bark, so I will simply remove it before using.

BBQ_Bill - a lot of wood that I recently bought has "lichen" on it - a green fungus on the bark. I'm thinking this stuff is not safe to use in a stickburner. Just chopping the bark off - is that enough precaution?

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          What ComfortablyNumb said sounds good to me.
          When mine has any foreign growth on the bark, I simply De-Bark it.

Originally posted by kmuoio View Post
        BBQ_Bill - a lot of wood that I recently bought has "lichen" on it - a green fungus on the bark. I'm thinking this stuff is not safe to use in a stickburner. Just chopping the bark off - is that enough precaution?
        kmuoio I just did a quick search and came across other forums that have broached the topic. I did not find any scientific research, so take what follows for what it is worth. Some of the posters did not worry about it, smoked with it on and claimed all was fine. Others were put off by the idea of it being on there, some suggested power washing it off. Others, citing that bark can impart bitterness, suggested debarking whether the wood had lichen or not. Finally, one suggested pre-burning to burn off the lichen first. Personally, if it weren't much I wouldn't give it a thought. If it were offensively heavy, I'd debark or pre-burn.
        Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; September 25, 2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I debark my wood to get most of the critters (larvae etc.) off of the wood before it burns. I also use gloves anytime I'm handling the wood, as brown recluse spiders are known to favor wood piles in my area.

Comment

I recently discovered a new way that just might be the best way to get all of the firewood I could ever need for smoking meats.
            This method really works GREAT for me so far!
            -
            We all know that Craigslist is a good source, but this new "Angle" ROCKS my friends! (HIGHLY Recommended)
            -
            Instead of searching, I ran a WANTED Ad.
            I specified that I wanted rounds (because you get more wood that way)
            Also gave the diameter and length limits as well as "For smoking meats. MUST be clean, no paint, no rot, etc."
            I got a full 4x4x8 foot cord of seasoned Oak rounds for $150.
            Set my price at $75 for a 2x4x8 foot trailer load which is a good price in the Phoenix area.
            Landscapers called with Mesquite trees being cut.
            When I arrived, they overloaded my trailer with fresh cut Mesquite rounds.
            Simply pay the foreman $75 cash and head home.
            -
            I now have around 3 to 4 full cords of Mesquite, Oak, Pecan, and Apple stacked up with about half seasoned and ready.
            Also delivered 4 trailer loads of Mesquite to my friend at JL Smokehouse here in Phoenix.
            I had to close the ad due to the overwhelming response!
            -
            On another note...
            To deal with the green and sometimes very large diameter rounds, I purchased a 35 Ton Yardmax Log Splitter.
            This "Beast" walks thru everything I throw at it like it does not even care in the least.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180331_151901.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	475574

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180331_175101.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	475575

It comes with a 4-Way wedge that makes short work of green wood.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Brilliant idea! Right now our town has a spring clean up day coming. Residents are allowed to put yard trimmings in the street and the city will come pick up. There is a lot of branches just sitting on the road for the taking.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweeeet splitter !!! Maybe YOU should go into the wood sellin' biz !!!

A few words of caution...
            I forgot about the paint that chips off of the wedge and back-stop plate that the logs are pressed into when being split.
            -
            Am not sure as to the chemical makeup or the content of the orange and gray paint on this splitter unit, but for sure when the paint burns, the fumes and smoke from it that is added to the bark of the meat cannot be good for the eaters.
            Please click HERE on this hyperlink to see what I am referring to.

Comment

Here in Rochester NY as Spring trys to get a hold (it was 35F and snowing an hour ago...) I have found lots of opportunities to harvest fallen wood. My KBQ wood supply was getting very low - but as luck would have it - I am getting some great wood.

- I have lots of shag bark hickory on my property. A few are coming down once the weather warms up. Walking with my dog recently - a large limb came down! I sawed it into KBQ length, split some and it's now drying in my garage.
              - My wife came home recently from a walk with the dog (note - I need to thank the dog) and told me there was a large black cherry tree that came down in a local town park. I went over and helped clean up the area - and scored a lot of cherry wood.
              - Last, I was out walking the dog (see a trend?) and came across an old red oak that dropped a pretty big limb across a walking trail. Im going there on Saturday ;-)

Nature provides

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here