Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pecan in Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecan in Offset

Is pecan too strong as a single source for heat and smoke in a reverse flow offset? That's all I can source at the moment after all the rain we've gotten from Harvey. BTW Huskee south Louisianans pronounce it p'cahn (rhymes with James Caan) with hardly a vowel between the p and the cahn.

No it'll be great if you know how to manage a proper fire which I'm sure you do.

Comment

It'll be jus' fine, with p'cahn...
      Set yer vents, an' ride on, 'til supper time...

Comment

That's possibly my favorite to use.

Comment

Good to know guys, thanks!

Comment

I believe it is a lot like almond which I use all of the time. To go along with your theme - I grew up in the central part of the valley where is is grown in abundance and the farmers get mad if you don't pronounce it all-mond. In the north part of the valley the farmers get mad if you don't pronounce it aa-mond.

Comment

My buddy used to run a diner and he smoked all his meats in his large offset, and used cater BBQ and all he used the first couple years was pecan. I've heard many describe it as a milder hickory.

Comment

I would be pumped to have a full load of Pecan. Consider yourself lucky!

Comment

How long does it need to season? The guy who sold it to me said it was fresh cut, and it does feel heavy like it has a lot of moisture...

Comment

I have some that I picked up this time last year and it's close to being ready. I could use it if needed by warming on the firebox.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
                      How long does it need to season? The guy who sold it to me said it was fresh cut, and it does feel heavy like it has a lot of moisture...
                      A good rule of thumb seems to be 6mo to 1yr, but I'm not sure there's a perfect formula for that. Harbor freight sells $15 moisture meters, and around 20-25% is decent for smoking. Chop it up into quarter splits and cover just the top with a tarp so the wind can blow through the sides and I'd say give it a good couple months anyway. Pre-burn it to black & grey half-burnt pieces if you're worried it's not dry enough and you can use it just fine.

Comment

• Steve R.
                        Steve R. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Huskee speaks the truth. It's dry enough when it's dry enough. The parts of the trunk nearest the ground will be naturally wetter than higher up, so time is merely a guideline. The moisture meter doesn't lie. And pre-burning does forgive a lot of sins in the event that it is borderline seasoned enough.

• Beefchop
                        Beefchop commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here