Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Apple Wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Apple Wood?

I bought a bunch of new logs today to add to my stack, and while stacking them I discovered that I had about 12 logs of so of Apple that on the outside (I haven't cut them to see the inside) are black in color instead of the gold of my Hickory and Oak.

The Apple wood is dry, looks, and smells normal. Outside of the color, things seem normal. I'm debating if I should just throw these out, or if there is an explanation that would allow me to keep them.

Any ideas?

Not to complicate things, but can you post picture of it? I have some wood that has been seasoned for a few years that is a grey charcoal color on the outside. Not black but almost. I have seen it on my ash wood mostly.
    I think you will be just fine, but I would like to see it to compare it to what I have going on. (I use this wood for smoking and the fire pit)

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
      Not to complicate things, but can you post picture of it? I have some wood that has been seasoned for a few years that is a grey charcoal color on the outside. Not black but almost. I have seen it on my ash wood mostly.
      I think you will be just fine, but I would like to see it to compare it to what I have going on. (I use this wood for smoking and the fire pit)
      Sure here are a few pictures. Thank you for taking a look!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3389.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	358631Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	358632Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3390.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	358633

Comment

If you are worried, you can pre-burn it to remove the black and add it to your smoker while lit.

Comment

I would say your fine. Lots of my smoking wood looks like that. That color just means she's ready to burn.

Comment

Looks fine to me.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here