Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almond Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almond Wood

Has anyone ever tried using this wood? Thinking about ordering some and experimenting.

Used it years ago, but unfortunately I don't remember much about it, other than it being mild or so I thought at the time.

Comment

I bet this would be really good. Like Huskee said, "Mild" in flavor. But I would be willing to give some a try. I am going to try some of Huskee 's Mulberry that he sent me a little while back.

Comment

Mulberry! That caught my attention! I order my wood from Fruita Wood & BBQ Company. Everything is stored inside their warehouse so outside weather doesn't effect quality. They do have Mulberry as well.

Comment

I digging the mulberry, guys. I've used it on pulled beef & pork, ribs and chicken. It's like you might expect for a fruit wood, mild & pleasant depending how you use it like anything. I like it better than orange and grapevine.

Comment

I use almond wood all of the time. I go through about a cord of almond a year and 1/2 cord of oak (between BBQ and fireplace). It needs to be seasoned more than oak. It burns at a medium heat and can be a bit smokey. It renders more ash than oak. It is fantastic for beef and pork but can be a little strong for chicken or fish.

Comment

I love mulberry on pork and chicken! Never tried almond wood.

Comment

I agree what TBOB said- needs to be seasoned more than normal. Doesnt burn super hot , It wasnt my favorite. didnt use in KBQ

Comment

The only reason I asked about almond wood is I came across Steve Raichlen 2017 BBQ Trends and he says Almond wood is the new thing. My distributor for wood says its ready to go as far as cured out along with Mulberry. Curious how it tastes, what they work best on. Maybe use it for Comps, maybe not. Just trying to stay on the cutting edge of mainstream BBQ. Coarse can't forget old school principles. Thank you for input everyone.

Comment

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would buy it. If it is seasoned, you will not be unhappy. Where I live it is abundant, as is oak, walnut, olive and madrone. I have access to peach and cherry. Almond and oak are my base woods. Another advantage - once the fire is shut down it makes awesome charcoal.

• CandySueQ
                    CandySueQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're better sticking with hickory or pecan in competition. "New" flavors will offend more than one judge in all likelihood. Apple is my go-to favorite to cook with. When I switched to pecan in comps, I did better.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mulberry I know is great. Apple-like for a concise description.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here