Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use Fatwood to start your fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use Fatwood to start your fire?

From what I read this is made from pine.. Does the pine really burn off and is it safe to start your fire with charcoal or stick burn? HD had them for about $1.50.. Worth getting?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fatwood.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	330518

We tried a package a few years back, and didn't like the flavor it left.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Much appreciated! I can go buy ice cream instead.

I only use these sometimes unter the chimney lighter. It will put out some seriously nasty sooty smoke when if first ignites..

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess it's true..everything that seems good isn't the case.. thanks so much

Nope ... food and pine just don't play well together.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything I heard said exactly that, just had to double check. Thanks so much

Fatwood is essentially the heart of a dead pine tree where the resin has hardened over time. When the resin is distilled it is known as turpentine. We used to gather what we called "nighter knots" and use to light our campfire or fireplace. Unless you want to chance food tasting a bit like turpentine though, I wouldn't advise using them for cooking.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the education! I had read that it was from pine and knew that pine and food is a no go but wasn't sure if there was some way it might've been burned out during the process of making this.. Thanks again for the knowledge!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here