Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logs with knots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logs with knots

Hey stick burner guys and girls,

I'll be getting a stick burner this summer, I'll post much more later once it is more official. I got a load of cherry wood from an orchard, and the farmer cut it up for me somewhat but I've been cutting it further and then splitting into small pieces.

Some of the logs I got though have pretty large knots, and for the short lengths I'm cutting them into, sometimes the knot takes up most of the log! An example is where the tree split into two or three main sections. Is there anything I can do with these large pieces that I can't split (yes I tried to split them for a while)? Would they be good for putting in early to warm up the smoker, or would it take too long to catch or create too much heat? I'd hate to have to just throw them away.

Sometimes you can use a table saw or circular saw and score them deeply enough that you can then split them cleanly. If you have a chainsaw, you can "noodle" them (ie. cut with the grain). Personally, I prefer cherry trees from the woods, where they grow tall and straight with no branches until near the top.

Comment

Really knotty pieces go in my fire pit. They are tough to throw but even tougher to spilt. I always give them a few whacks. I can usually tell if it will split or not after the first few swings. Using a wedge is also an option but it can be dangerous and really not worth it. However, if you have a 20-ton log splitter........Then you will be just fine. I am going to use my buddies splitter this weekend to power through a lot of ash, maple and knotty oak that I have built up over the seasons.
      Last edited by Spinaker; May 8, 2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

I would not use knots in the smoker. The knots might tie up the smoke. LOL
        Last edited by RonB; May 12, 2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Is this in the right forum? ;-)

If your smoker can handle the full size log, just toss them in. The unsplit log will burn slower than an equal amount of split, so I often use them to maintain temps on long cooks after I have the bed of coals established.

My two cents: always make sure your firebox can handle a full size log cut for a fireplace. Makes all the difference in the world for a stick burner.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I would love to see some pictures of that custom offset!

• Nightrayne
          Nightrayne commented
          Editing a comment
          Will try to remember to take some pictures this weekend. It is not very big, but it is built like a tank. It will probably still be chugging along just fine long after I am dead =)

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Alright, that's the answer I was hoping for!

Forget dogs, a chainsaw is a man's best friend. If you can't split 'em, saw 'em up!

Comment

If they are small enough to fit into firebox - burn em. I have found for long cooks I can fill firebox full of logs after a bed of coals is established and control fire with intake air vents.

Comment

Aye! If it fits, burn it!
            >stickburner<

Comment

PBCDad, I use a 10รขโ‚ฌย Power Miter Saw to Cut Down Pieces of Wood Like You Describe! If I were to Buy a New One I would Get a 12"! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Nightrayne
                Nightrayne commented
                Editing a comment
                1. Make DARN sure the firewood is fully braced against both the cutting deck and then fence itself. Firewood is very likely to twist/spin if not braced and this can pull you hand in if you are holding it.

• Nightrayne
                Nightrayne commented
                Editing a comment
                2. Go SLOW on the cut. If you go too fast the blade will slow down and you are much more likely to suddenly grab the wood instead of cutting it. Also highly recommend using a sacrificial guide to hold the log instead of directly with your hand.

It works well, but be safe and use your head.

• PBCDad
                PBCDad commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Nightrayne, I think I've decided that I'll either use the knotty logs to warm up the smoker and get a bed of coals going or just use them in the fire pit.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here