Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Me Pick My FruitaWood Order!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used Fruita’s grape vine wood on a turkey and it was great. Probably would have been great regardless of what wood type I used but thought the grape vine chunks were interesting.
    Last edited by Arsenlael; October 4, 2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

My 2 cents.. post oak, apple, cherry, pecan.

Comment

Hickory, cherry, and pecan is my standard fruita wood order. The peach does have a really nice, unique flavor as well.

Comment

I use Pecan on 90% of everything. That said, if I was putting in an order, I'd try Peach or something else that isn't readily available at the local big box store.

Comment

This is quite interesting. I emailed Bert at Fruita via the website and he responded in a few minutes (apparently directly emailing doesn't work as effectively).

In short, he agreed that moisture content plays a valuable role in creating the right amount of smoke and flavor. He's done a lot of research and studies into the ideal moisture content per species, but considers the information a trade secret and won't release it. But he guarantees my wood will have the right amount of moisture for a perfect smoke.

I am not sure if I am over-thinking this wood order (well, that is part of the fun isn't it?). But, I was a bit surprised that he considers it a trade secret when if I wished I could pick up a wood moisture tool and check the wood when it arrives.

What do you guys think?

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...-smoking-wood/

Then we have this (bold mine)

My article on wood and smoke discusses wood in general, especially if it is added just for flavor, but if you are going to use wood for both heat and flavor your choice of wood is more crucial. When you are adding a chunk or three of wood to a charcoal smoke, the type of tree make little or no taste-able difference. But if you are using a stick burner, the type of wood can make a big difference.

In general, hardwoods like oak, and most fruitwoods give the mildest, most agreeable flavors. Hickory is stronger and more pungent, and mesquite stronger still. If you use air dried wood it should be cured for at least six months. Kiln dried wood can be too dry, so specify that you want wood 15 to 22% moisture. The AmazingRibs.com science advisor Prof. Greg Blonder says "Wood containing a bit of moisture creates a bit of steam during combustion, which causes smoke particles to clump together. And larger particles are less likely to flow around the meat so they stick more easily. Plus the water changes the nitrate/nitrogen ratio a bit, which affects the smoke ring, which has no flavor but adds eye appeal. The ring is typically larger with kiln dried wood. Kiln dried is considered to taste smokier." Remember, smokier is not always better.
            Last edited by STEbbq; October 6, 2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              🤣🤣🤣

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              If their peach wood gets below a certain moisture content, they will not sell it. They are very proud of the fact they have supplied numerous winners with their peach. Order the damn wood.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              +3

Well, the decision has been made, but I have yet to place my order. I want to use some more of my current wood stock before getting in fresh wood. I am going to order oak, cherry, and maple.

But, I will order from Smokinlicious instead of Fruitawood. Smokinlicious' 1 cubic foot box weighs 32.5 pounds, so it's a far better deal for similar quality or better wood. For a double filet chunk (2x2x3) a box is $41.16 or $1.26 a pound compared to Fruita wood's pricing of $2.37 a pound for the 30 pound box or $2.08 a pound for a 45 pound box.

I've enclosed direct links for ordering from Smokinlicious for those curious.I'll review the wood once it arrives and I've had a chance to compare to my existing plastic-bagged wood and use it.

https://www.smokinlicious.com/blog/s...-single-filet/

Double Filet smoking chunks are 2x2x3 inch pure hardwood wood chunks!  Ideal for smokin wood BBQ, grills( gas and Charcoal)!  Awesome smoking capacity and flavoring.

Thanks for all of the advice and discussion. I'll update as soon as I can with a review.
            Last edited by STEbbq; October 8, 2021, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here