Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Wood Chunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Wood Chunks

Has anyone ever had any experience using the B&B wood chunks? I've used the Western brand before, and recently ordered some from The Woodshed in CA. Just trying to find a more local spot (I live in MI) with some good reviews on wood chunks.

And to that...if anyone has a recommendation of a good product/site to purchase some, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have used pecan, cherry, apple and hickory B&B chunks with good results. Their pecan chunks are what I default to for most things now. There's nothing not to like about it, really. I usually get mine at Academy Sports, but Ace Hardware sells it as well.
    Last edited by Steve R.; June 22, 2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree completely.

I have a bag of B&B hickory chunks and they seem to be quite a bit smaller than the Western or Weber brand I usually get. There are a couple decent sized chunks in there but a lot of smaller ones too. Not quite small enough to categorize them as chips but not too far off.

I don't mind the smaller chunks for most applications so it isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I do tend to gravitate towards the bigger chunks for some reason.

Comment

They are on average smaller than other chunks, but still count as chunks IMO. The burn and produce smoke. I believe the type of tree they came from matches the label on the bag. I’ve used a lot of the post oak and hickory

Comment

Thanks for the replies, all! I think I’ll grab a couple of bags and try them out.

Comment

I don’t have any experience with chunks specifically, but I buy the B&B splits regularly from Ace Hardware. They ship to store for free and my local Ace delivers to the house for free if I spend over $50. I’ve been very happy with their product and can’t imagine that their chunks would be much different. Let us know your thoughts once you try them out!
          Last edited by RickyBobby; June 22, 2021, 05:22 PM. Reason: Correcting the auto-incorrect errors.

Comment

• scottdware
            scottdware commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll be sure to do that. Good to know on the splits. I thought about getting those and cutting them down to chunks

No, but happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

• scottdware
            scottdware commented
            Editing a comment
            Same to you, my friend!

I get all my B&B chunks from Academy, they’ve been consistent for years. I typically use their pecan and cherry cut from our hunting property.

Comment

Woodshed in Orange also goes by Sharpe. It seems to me they try to cut Coke can size chunks. I still use Western and B&B too. I met the guy who owned the Woodshed before he died. He had a sense of humor and was someone you’d want to hang out with. Now his wife runs it and is a great barbecue fanatic. Get a chop saw, a Coke can, and whatever smoking wood you can find and save on shipping.
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here